Best Local Restaurants in Salt Lake City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I know I’m not alone when I say I love food, and that eating is one of my favorite past times. It’s so fun to go out and try different restaurants! Salt Lake is great for this. There are so many great local places, you just have to look for them. Seriously, I could go on and on about all the yummy places to eat here. Luckily, I have done the researching part for you. Here are some of my favorite places to grab a bite that you should…wait, scratch that, NEED to try if you haven’t already done so. 

Oasis Café – 151 South 500 East

This is my all time favorite restaurant. I have never had anything bad here! Oasis has a very laid back atmosphere. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You really can’t go wrong with anything on their menu. Even though Oasis tends to be more on the healthy side they are certainly not lacking in flavor. I also love their wide variety of drinks. They have everything from freshly squeezed juices to specialty coffee drinks to many herbal teas. Their coffee is great, which is extremely hard to find in a restaurant in Utah.

My favorite menu items: Spicy Chicken Sandwich, Oasis Breakfast, Oasis Gryo, and the Lemon Wintergreen Tea.

Tasty Thai – 1302 South 500 East

The name says it all. Tasty Thai is exactly what it is! It looks a little questionable on the outside, but the food will not disappoint. It’s not the place to go if you are looking for a great atmosphere, but if you are looking for great tasting authentic thai food then this is the place for you. They have a large menu, so even if you aren’t into spicy foods they will have something milder like a stir-fry. Make sure you check out their special’s board above the registers when you go. Last time I went they had fried papaya with veggies in a pad thai sauce. I was in foodie heaven! 

My favorite menu items: Tom-Yum-Nam-Khon (hot and sour lemongrass soup), Gang- Keow-Whan (Green Curry), and their thai iced coffee and tea.

Even Stevens – (Dowtown): 200 South 414 East

(Sugarhouse): 2030 South 900 East

I know what you’re thinking and no, unfortunately this sandwich shop does not replay Shia Labeouf’s Disney show Even Stevens. However, it does have the Best. Grilled. Cheese. Ever. Their JP grilled cheese includes: white cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and of course jalapeños melted in between two pieces of garlic bread. Its every college student’s dream. This is a great lunch spot. Also, for every sandwich they sell, they donate one to a local non-profit organization! The inside has a great vibe too with cool art and is all about representing Salt Lake! Added plus: free coffee with your University of Utah I.D.

Favorite menu items: JP Grilled Cheese and Do Gouda Sandwich

Atlantic Café – 325 S. Main Street

This is a Mediterranean restaurant in downtown. It has a nice European feel on the inside. They have many different Greek and Italian dishes. Fun Fact: I once ate here four times in a week. Yep, its that good! 

My favorite menu item: Lasagna, Primavera Panini, Gyro, and Lamb Kebab Plate

Moochie’s – (Downtown): 232 East 800 South

(Sugarhouse): 7725 S. State Street

Moochie’s may look like a hole-in-the-wall, but it is so much more. It is owned by a husband and wife. The wife is from Philly and her husband makes hand-made pottery that can be bought at Moochies. Seriously you guys if you’re looking for real satisfying food, take a visit to Moochie’s. This place is not messing around and you will not leave hungry. It was also featured on Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives”! You may want to wear sweatpants and a loose fitting shirt to this one…

My favorite menu item: Philly Cheesesteak and the Meatball Sandwich 

Bruge’s Waffles and Frites – (Downtown): 336 West 300 South

(Sugarhouse): 2314 S. Highland Drive

The owner is from Belgium, so you know its going to be good! I like to go to Bruge’s when I’m looking for something a little different for dessert. They have different flavored waffles that you can top with vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, bananas, strawberries, and more! They also serve specialty sandwiches, hot dogs, fries, a large array of homemade dipping sauces, and more! 

My favorite menu items: Waffle Monster, On-The-Go Chocolate Waffle, and their frites with aioli.

Bud’s – 300 South 509 East 

Want something fast, but don’t want to go to an unhealthy place like McDonalds? Get your butt to Bud’s! All their ingredients are plant based. You can taste how fresh their food is and they serve it so quickly! This is a great choice whether you are vegan or not. As you have probably guessed by now, I am a meat-eater,  but when I eat at Bud’s I don’t even miss it. They season their food to perfection and it fills you up!

My favorite menu item: Barbacoa Sandwich 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor