This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Some of the only things that are getting me through self-isolation are limited series. Limited series usually span between four to ten episodes, which makes them so easy to binge watch. In making these episodes, networks can take huge creative risks that we normally wouldn’t see in an ordinary television show. Netflix has a huge variety of limited series that you can watch without ever needing to leave the comfort of your own couch or bed — here are some of my all-time faves!!

‘The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez’

This limited docuseries had me heartbroken! In 2013 little Gabriel Fernandez was murdered by his mother and her boyfriend. He suffered EXTREME abuse that went unaddressed by his social workers. Although this became difficult to watch at times, I would still highly recommend it because the series walks you through why the system failed him. You get to see a chain reaction of law enforcement and DCFS workers acting incompetently and a jury that couldn’t make a unanimous decision. Some clips of the trial are included as well as interviews with family members and adults that tried to save Gabriel. Worth watching.

‘Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez’ 

I am not a sports fan, but I am a huge crime junkie! This docuseries is too good not to recommend. This former professional football player got away with murdering two men in a drive-by shooting and went on to play in Super Bowl XLVI! He became a convicted killer after he murdered his friend Odin Lloyd and was no longer allowed to play for the NFL. Producers interview his friends, teammates, and family to see how he went from pro athlete to convicted criminal. It’s a sad docuseries, but so insightful!

‘Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes’

For all of you serial killer lovers, this is for you! The notorious killer was executed January 24, 1989, via electric chair, and Netflix blessed us all with this limited series on the 30th anniversary of his death. Ted Bundy’s erratic behavior is documented as he waits on death row while we are all at the edge of our seats. It is horrifying, eerie, and unsettling, but well worth your time. If you live in Utah, I suggest not driving up Emigration Canyon the night you finish this series. 

‘Surviving R. Kelly’

Lizette Martinez. Kitti Jones. Andrea Kelly. Dominique Gardner. Jocelyn Savage. Asante McGee. Jerhonda Pace. Lisa Van Allen. These are just some of the women that survived R. Kelly’s sexual, physical, emotional, and verbal abuse. This documentary is not easy to watch by any means. The courage these women have is astounding. This limited series gives you a front row seat as to how R. Kelly got away with being a pedophile and a successful musician. 

‘When They See Us’

The Central Park Five. Ever heard of them? No? Let me help you. Five innocent young black teens were convicted of brutally raping a white woman in Central Park. They were prosecuted for the confessions they made to police after HOURS of interrogation. None of the DNA found at the scene matched the five suspects’, but they were still convicted and served between six to thirteen years each. This series follows the quintet as they age and navigate their lives as teens and then as prisoners. If you are going to watch any of the series on this list, please let it be this one!! I cannot stress enough how good this is!

‘The People vs. O.J. Simpson’

This is the only thing that got me through the last few weeks of AP Calculus my junior year of high school. The acting in this series is phe-no-mi-nal! It honestly feels like you are right there with the cast from the killings to the trials. Sarah Paulson really came through and brought each episode to life. We stan a queen!

‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’

This is the second season of FX’s true crime anthology, the first being The People vs. O.J. Simpson. If you love fashion and crime, this one’s for you — fair warning: things get gory. This series follows Andrew Cunanan as he goes on a killing spree. He murdered five people in three months, and each episode will have you cringing at the murders. Like the first season, the acting in this is unmatched!

‘Self Made’

I was in second grade the first time I heard of Madam C.J. Walker, and me and my curly hair have looked up to this woman ever since! For those of you who don’t know, Madam C.J. Walker is an entrepreneur that is selling products that cater to the needs of African American hair. She is the first woman in America to be a self-made millionaire. She is a trailblazer for women in business! Such an inspirational storyline that demonstrates female empowerment and the struggle women of color face on the daily.

I hope you love these limited series just as much as I do! I’ve already watched three since I started quarantining, and I’m on to my next one: Tiger King (((: 

Farah majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. She is the Director of Recruitment and Director of Social Media of Her Campus Utah for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves painting with coffee and drinking lemonade.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor