This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The beginning of October is every collegiette’s favorite time of the year. It *finally* feels like fall; Pumpkin Spice lattes are back, the semester is halfway over, and chances are… you have a cold. 

That’s right, October means that cold & flu season is coming. Here are some tips and tricks to help you beat your cold! 

1. Wash Your Hands This is fairly self-explanatory. Cold and flu viruses spread quickly and cling to surfaces such as computer keyboards, phones, even the door handle to your room. 

2. Don’t Touch Your Face 

You probably hear this one a lot, regardless. Viruses enter the body though your eyes, noes, and mouth. The easiest way to stop them? Don’t touch your face. 

3. Stop Drinking Alcohol

Everyone’s least favorite, and yet super effective, advice. Alcohol dehydrates you and can decrease your quality of sleep. Save your wine and stick with water.

4. Drink Tea Instead

Hot green or black tea with lemon and honey is one of the most effective cold remedies. Hot water with lemon is a great alternative if you don’t like tea! 

5. Get Plenty of Sleep

Sleep is the best way to fight off viruses and make you feel like a normal person again.

6. Don’t Take NyQuil

NyQuil is one of the worst over-the-counter medicines available. It has a high alcohol content (10%) and leaves you dehydrated and waking up with a “NyQuil Hangover.” There are some similar over-the-counter alcohol-free sleep aids available that work just as well! 

There you have it! Six simple and easy ways to prevent, and fight, colds and the flu! 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor