This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Thanksgiving has become a time to think about everything that we’re grateful for. There are so many things that I have felt so incredibly blessed by this year. Like many people, I feel so much gratitude for my friends and family. However, on top of everything else I’m trying something new this year. This Thanksgiving, I’m going to include the things I have done for myself as things I am grateful for.

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to look back on everything great you’ve done this year. In the past, I have been too focused on what I want to change about myself to see all the progress I’ve made. From talking to friends, I’ve found this is a fairly common sentiment. We need to take time to see how far we’ve come before setting New Year’s resolutions take over our focus. 

It is too easy to forget or dismiss all the small things that we do for ourselves. For example, I’m grateful that I have taken such good care of my plants. I know that my plants make me happy and I appreciate myself for recognizing that and doing the work to actively work towards happiness. There are aspects in all of our lives that we should recognize ourselves for trying our best. Show yourself that you are serious about loving yourself by taking some time to think about all the things you do that you love about yourself. You can even write yourself a thank you card. 

Try seeing yourself as someone who loves you does. For me, this is my mom, but it can be anyone including friends. What great things do they see in you? If you get stuck you can honestly ask them and I’m sure they would be willing to help you out. 

However you celebrate gratitude on Thanksgiving make sure to include the most important person in your life—yourself. You spend more time with yourself than anyone else. Happy Thanksgiving!

Photo Sources: 1, 2

Senior at the University of Utah studying Strategic Communication and Design.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor