This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Makeup is such a fun and creative way to express yourself, and the possibilities are limitless. When trying to start your makeup collection, it can be daunting to enter a store with rows and rows of products lining the shelves. There are so many different products, colors, and brands to choose from and it can be hard to know where to begin. These are the five products that everyone needs to build a solid foundation for their makeup collection.

Foundation

Foundation is an essential first step in any makeup routine. It evens out your skin tone, covers discoloration, and conceals imperfections. This is the base for the rest of the makeup that you put on and is very beginner friendly. Just be sure to choose a shade that matches your skin tone!

Mascara

Mascara is a no-experience-necessary product that draws attention to the eyes in the best way. It lengthens and volumizes both your top and bottom eyelashes and although you may need a little practice to get the hang of it, this is a very fast way to add that little bit of something to your look.

Eyebrow Gel

Doing your eyebrows can easily make you look more professional and put together. For beginners, pencils and powders may seem too daunting, so I recommend purchasing a tinted gel. Just like mascara, you swipe this product over your eyebrows to groom them and give them more color and depth. Personally, I think this is the best way to pull any makeup look together.

Concealer

Concealer is a step above foundation, because you only use it on certain parts of the face to cover up any imperfections. The most common places that concealer is applied is under the eyes, so you will want to buy a shade that is slightly lighter than your skin tone. This is an essential product because it does the best job at concealing anything that you’d like to hide.

Tinted Lip Balm

There are so many different products to choose from for your lips and it all depends on personal choice! The easiest product for someone new to makeup is a tinted chapstick. This product is versatile as it moisturizes your lips and also adds a hint of color. Plus, it’s a great form of self-expression because you can choose whatever color speaks to you!

We all have to start with the basics, and these five products are the perfect basics to begin your makeup collection. After you have these essentials, the sky is the limit and you’re free to express yourself creatively!

Kristin is a member of the Honors College and is majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Disability Studies. She participates in three research labs at the U and is an Honors Peer Mentor. Kristin also interns at Well-Being Elevated. She has a passion for doing makeup, writing, and working with kids.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor