Ashlee Kurys: Paving the Way for Women in Computer Science

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Ashlee Kurys is a junior in the computer science program here at the University of Utah and is a great example to women and girls everywhere who want to pursue careers in computers and engineering. After two years in the program, she’s dealt with her share of sexism and has come through stronger and a better programmer. She currently TA’s for an introductory computer science class and shows all the women who start out in the program that they do belong there and can do great things in software engineering.

HC Utah: When did you know you wanted to be a computer scientist? / What made you want to go into computer science?

Ashlee: I originally started in Metallurgical Engineering for financial aid reasons, and as part of the requirements, there was an introductory-level computer science course you had to take. After taking that course, I decided to minor in computer science. The rest of my courses were just so boring, and that was the one course that really stuck out to me, so when the department cut my financial aid by more than half, I decided to throw caution to the wind and follow my heart.

What is your favorite part about your major?

My favorite part about the major is the people I’ve met. The teaching staff genuinely care about the students and how they’re doing in work and school. I’ve also met so many great friends through this program.

What hardships have you faced as a woman in a traditionally male-dominated field?

As a woman in computer science, I tend to feel like my opinions aren’t as respected and noticed as my male counterparts. I’ve noticed that when I’m talking to another guy that they will try and dismiss my opinion or find some reason why my opinion is invalid. I’ve had encounters with someone in the major who refuses to partner with me on assignments presumably because I’m female.

Do you think enough is being done to encourage girls to go into engineering fields?

I don’t think enough is being done to encourage girls to go into engineering fields. Back in high school, I was advised to stay away from engineering and math courses and was directed towards home economics courses. However, I think that larger companies such as Google make it a priority to encourage women to go into engineering and have made progress. Seeing women working in the field will encourage other girls to go into an engineering field.

What advice do you have for a woman considering pursuing computer science?

Don’t be afraid to do what you love and speak up. Some guys might try to cut you down for playing with “man’s work”, but to hell with them. You do you, girl.

Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.