This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

After the world was flung into global shutdowns in March to attempt to stop the spread of COVID-19, many people turned to music and art to get them through this difficult time. For me, music has always been a great place to escape or reflect on current events. From my summer spent in isolation, there were a few albums that I discovered or returned to as I dealt with the growing confusion, panic, and anxiety surrounding the pandemic. So, without further ado, here’s the music that defined my summer spent in quarantine.

New to Me

For my first category, I want to share two albums that I discovered over the summer. These albums are not new releases, but they were new to me at the beginning of the pandemic.

“Conduit” – machinegum

Machinegum’s debut album is full of ‘80s synth and electric pop references and deeply haunting vocalizations. As of late, I’ve loved playing this album while I study — or cry, or both.

Song to hear first: “Kubes”

“Swell” – Lunar Vacation

This debut EP from Lunar Vacation album was released in 2017, but I only just discovered this dreamy indie pop band while raking through Spotify recommendations. Their music effortlessly blends emotional discussions with enchanting instrumentals.

Song to hear first: “Swimming”

New to 2020

2020 brought some planned and surprise releases throughout many months filled with turmoil. These albums entailed one last look at life before the pandemic and life in newfound isolation.

“Dreamland” – COIN

Coin’s third studio album was released on February 21, 2020. This album’s themes of escape and optimism are beautifully handled through their constant reimaginations of their indie pop and rock sound.

Song to hear first: “Babe Ruth”

“Notes on a Conditional Form” – The 1975

Throughout my time in college, I have gone from knowing just one or two songs from The 1975, to vowing to see them live whenever I can. “Notes” culminates the band’s “Music for Cars” era, and this sprawling album successfully explores many of the group’s interests across traditional genre lines.

Song to hear first: “Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy)”

“Punisher” – Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe Bridgers’ long-awaited sophomore album was released on June 18, 2020 in the midst of national protests against police brutality. “Punisher” offers a reflection of the intense emotions associated with quarantine through Bridgers’ poetic songwriting prowess.

Song to hear first: “Graceland Too”

“folklore” – Taylor Swift

As a lifelong Taylor Swift fan, I was excited to see her testing out a new direction in her music through this album written and recorded entirely in quarantine. Swift consistently delivers powerfully written songs, but “folklore” has demonstrated just how impactful her lyrics can be with relatively simple melody accompaniments.

Song to hear first: “Exile (feat. Bon Iver)

Old Favorites

As many people have noticed, spending time in quarantine can bring time of reflection or regression to our younger selves. Myself included, I frequently found myself turning to albums that had defined my adolescence.

“Melodrama” – Lorde

Lorde unabashedly discusses teenage emotions on “Melodrama,” and her music often felt like the only appropriate thing to listen to while experiencing intense emotions associated with the world’s shutdowns. “Melodrama” offered the chance to think about life before the pandemic — both the good and the bad.

Song to hear first: “Supercut”

“Melophobia” – Cage the Elephant

Cage the Elephant has long been one of my all-time favorite bands, and I often feel comforted by returning to their discography. “Melophobia” was their latest release when I discovered the band (and when I saw them live for the first time), so this album brings a lot of nostalgia, but I also appreciate the grunge rock elements that are heavily present on this track list.

Song to hear first: “Take It or Leave It”

“Remain in Light” – Talking Heads

I’ve often found myself returning to Talking Heads during periods of significant change in my life. I’ll consistently return to this band for their ‘80s pop tracks, their scrambled and chaotic sound, and their punk rock influence.

Song to hear first: “Once in a Lifetime”

All of these albums defined various periods of my life in quarantine, but it’s essential to note that just because classes have returned, the pandemic is still happening. So, wear a mask (over both your nose and your mouth), practice social distancing, and listen to some of these albums. Together, we can all get through this difficult time!

Senior at the University of Utah studying English, Spanish, and Philosophy Passionate about art, grammar, and ethics
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor