To the Addictive Personalities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

According to the Webster Dictionary, addiction is defined as being enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.

This could be a person, a substance, tattoos, television shows, food and so much more.

I grew up with two alcoholic parents and never understood how a liquid could run and ruin the lives of the consumers and their loved ones. I despised whoever invented alcohol. I watched my sister battle trying to quit smoking cigarettes on and off for ten years. I also had to experience my grandfather die at a young age because of his alcoholism. Addiction runs through my families veins like the blood through our arteries.

Once I truly began discovering myself, I kept in mind how I could be the next victim of addiction. Freshman year I drank every weekend. I laughed at the alcoholic college student jokes and thought there was nothing wrong with my lifestyle. When I picked up a drink I wouldn’t stop until my entire body was numb and my head was spinning. I would not remember one thing from my weekends and I began to realize that I could easily go downhill if I kept living like this.

I began to research about addictive genetics and personalities and only found negative connotations. What people should stop doing or the negative traits you may have because of your addictive genetics. There are positives to every negative and the positive aspects to addiction aren’t being recognized. Addiction is fifty percent because of genetic makeup, thus there are some personalities that are more addictive than others, but it doesn’t mean every negative connotation that goes along with addiction applies to you.

When I told my boyfriend about this article, I was nervous for him to know that I am an addictive person. I assumed he would look at me like I was psychotic. I realized that although I may be a ticking time bomb, I’ve received so many positive out comes from my inevitable addictive genetics.

I wanted to write this for the people who are scared of life because they don’t know when they might be spiraling down. I wanted you to realize what I have realized from becoming slightly addicted to every day things. We think and are effected differently.

You are eccentric

You are passionate about a majority of things that come in your life.

You love hard and fast and you would put a person, substance or idea before yourself. Society has an ideal norm and you exceed that expectation.

You are the best in relationships, but take break up’s the hardest.

It doesn’t take long for you to become enthusiastically devoted to the person you are dating. When there is a connection you feel like you are Velcro that is attached to your person. Separating hurts and the break up is harder for you. You look for something else to latch on to, which can be dangerous. Although when the hardest part is over, you come out so much stronger.  

Sometimes you wish you didn’t love so hard

This is what I struggled with, but then I realized that the people who come into my life are the fortunate ones because I will love them and do whatever I can for them. It is frustrating when you become attached to someone more than they are to you. It happens to addictive personalities. But when you meet the people who love you back it gives you a high that makes up for the people who didn’t deserve you.

You are a very empathic person

When others have deep feelings, you easily absorb them. You are affected by the energy in your surroundings. You will change according to others, but in the right situation this can be such an advantage and your friends love you for this.

You live life to the fullest

You are slightly addicted to life in general. You want to experience it all. ‘Yes’ is in your vocabulary more than ‘no’ and when you find a hobby or place you like, all you want is more. There is nothing wrong with living an adventurous life.

You work hard

Once you start a job you don’t see the reason to stop. You want to see what you can do above and beyond and you wont finished until it is complete. You don’t see the point in putting in any less than one hundred and ten percent.

Although having an addictive personality may be a balancing act sometimes, it doesn’t mean you can’t live the life you want to live. Some people may not understand you or your reasoning, but that is okay. Keep living your life and don’t fear addiction.

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor