Life > Experiences

A Letter to My Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Dear Freshman Self,

I know that it feels lonely. Sitting in your dorm room with only your computer to connect you to the 30,000 kids on this campus is the most of the “college experience” you are getting right now.  I swear it gets better though. You never could have anticipated that your first year of college would end up like this. To be honest, it felt weird walking into a lecture hall for the first time as a sophomore. There is a whole world outside of the 20 people that live in your hall. There is so much more to see than the walk from your dorm to the dining hall.

You find the most amazing people that will one day become your best friends — people you know will be standing beside you at your wedding. That one girl that messaged you over zoom… She will change your college experience. She will lead you to find your roommates that you will soon live with. She will bring you into a new friend group that will create an experience outside of the dorms for you. She will lead you to fall in love with skiing. So don’t be afraid to reach out to people, it will pay off.

I am so proud of you for not giving up, for not moving back home after first semester. For putting yourself out there and making friends. You are not the only one that feels like this. Everyone feels alone when their only interaction comes from a computer screen where 90% of people are just a black box with their name across it. Oh my, you would be so proud of how far we have come and the life we have made in Utah.

Love,

Future Self

Hi! My name is Gillian Carter. I am from Monument, Colorado (meaning I love the mountains). I am attending the University of Utah to study Recreational Therapy in hope of going to PT school after I finish my bachelors degree. I love doing anything outdoors, reading, getting coffee, and being with my friends and family! I have always had a love for writing so I hope you guys enjoy :)