This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We all have people that we idolize. The following list represents just a few women that have done and are doing great things in the world and why I think so!

Elizabeth Warren 

Elizabeth Warren has been a senator for Massachusetts since 2013 and has had many notable accomplishments in her career as a politician and prior. This year she ran for president on a platform stemmed from a grassroots campaign. She’s originally from Oklahoma and grew up on the cusp of the middle class. After completing her undergraduate studies and getting remarried, she attended Rutgers Law with aspirations to become a lawyer. During her career, she was sought after to teach law at Harvard. Due to her increasing notoriety, she was brought in to play a role in the bankruptcy legislation amendment bill of 1996. Concurrently, she underwent a personal political shift from being a lifelong staunch republican to a democrat. In the time that followed she was appointed to be the chair for the Congressional Oversight Panel. Warren continually went to bat for the American people against both the Bush and Obama administrations about why banks/corporations were being bailed out rather than people facing home foreclosure. A major result of this was the formation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which aims to protect people and their rights in to financial respects. Overall, she’s one of the most progressive senators this country has ever seen. In her run for the presidency, she had aggressive and lofty plans to combat Covid-19, climate change, achieving Medicare for all, addressing systemic racism/police reform and so much more. When told, “You would be the oldest president ever inaugurated,” she wittily replied, “I’d also be the youngest woman ever inaugurated.” She would have been the first female president of the United States and in my opinion the type of leader that Americans deserve after this administration.

Rihanna

From her start in the music industry to launching her own cosmetics company, Rihanna is truly a woman of many trades. She was discovered by an American producer in 2005 and quickly gained attention after dropping her first album, Music of the Sun. Originally from Barbados, she moved to the U.S. as she became more and more popular. Her music has consistently pushed the envelope, as her style reflects a mix of pop/r&b. Her tracks like “Umbrella,” took the world by storm elevating her stardom. She has recorded eight studio albums, many of which earned her memorable awards and recognition including nine Grammys. Rihanna is said to be the richest female musician with an estimated combined net worth of over $600 million. She’s a humanitarian, an icon in the fashion industry, and is responsible for founding the non-profit Clara Lionel Foundation, which seeks to aid educational and emergency preparedness programs globally. In addition, she is the creator behind Fenty Beauty which offers a groundbreaking array of 50 shades of foundation. Also, launching in part with Savage she’s designed a wide-ranging line of lingerie called Savage x Fenty. She’s a very highly accomplished artist and influential person and I know my day’s always improved if a Rihanna throwback comes up in a playlist.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg 

The late RBG was a Supreme Court justice from 1993 until her passing, from to complications with metastatic cancer of the pancreas. Possibly without ever having the intention, she has become a pop culture and feminist icon. She was the first Jewish woman and second woman overall to serve as a justice. Throughout her life, she battled cancer at various points including colon and pancreatic cancer, but she always kept an optimistic demeanor and maintained a healthy lifestyle. Referred to as “The Notorious R.B.G” the name still and will always ring true looking back upon her lasting legacy. When it came to topics such as gender equality, abortion rights, search and seizure, voting rights and so much more, RBG was always at the forefront bringing a refreshing liberal perspective to a conservative majority court. Overall, she was a lifelong fighter, a champion for justice and equality and will forever be remembered as a cultural and political icon.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez 

Widely known as AOC, Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez  has represented New York’s 14th congressional district since 2019 (when she was sworn in). She earned her seat through a grassroots-style campaign funded by her supporters. Prior to this, she was working as a waitress. At age 29 she is the youngest woman ever to have had a seat in Congress. She is ¼ of “The Squad,” made up of women of color under 50 that serve in The House of Representatives which also includes Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, and Rashida Tlaib. Growing up in the state of New York and being exposed to the diversity of backgrounds of people in the city inspired her to later on move forward with her campaign running on a progressive platform. She has degrees in economics and international relations from Boston University and a lot of experience in the political realm as well as with activism. AOC worked under the late Senator Ted Kennedy and saw further into the harsh realities of our society such as the devastating existence and effects of ICE. This experience prompted her to rally around Latinx youth in her community and to advocate for DREAMers and undocumented children/teens. She did this through her role as an educational director for the Hispanic Institute. As of now, she continues to be adamant about serving and uplifting the working class and advocates for social, racial, economic, and environmental justice. In a relatively short amount of time, AOC has been able to accomplish a lot and has really made a name for herself. This makes sense as in her own words, (after being called out by Senator Ted Yoho,) “But hey, bitches get stuff done.” Rightfully so, she’s one of the most refreshing, well-spoken, and progressive leaders of our generation. *For more information if you’re interested she’s featured in a great documentary called “Knock Down the House,” on Netflix!*

Miley Cyrus 

Having a versatile past and arguably a controversial one, Miley Cyrus from her “Hannah Montana,” days to her present day artistry has certainly evolved. I was almost 6 years old when the “Hannah Montana,” pilot aired on Disney Channel in 2006. So, my love for Miley has really stood the test of time these past 14 years. She had many hit songs through her time as Hannah respectively to when she went solo as an artist. From being a child actor turned singer she’s essentially had pretty well rounded success. In 2010, beginning her attempt to change her image she co-starred in the movie “The Last Song,” with her now ex-husband Liam Hemsworth. Soon after she released her album “Can’t Be Tamed,” which officially marked her breakaway from being Hannah Montana. Her music has since changed drastically which was evident after her album, Bangerz, dropped in 2013. The reinvention of herself and revitalization of her music sparked a controversy that she was going off the rails, when in reality she’s simply a unique trailblazer in the music industry. She’s a long time vegan and known animal rights activist. Additionally, she founded her own non-profit organization called the Happy Hippie Foundation that aims to assist homeless youth and the LGBTQ+ community. As of recent, she released a single entitled “Midnight Sky,” which already has over 105 million listens on Spotify, and created a segment called “Bright Minded” that discusses current events/various topics on her Instagram, (IGTV,) throughout quarantine! 

Lady Gaga

I can vividly remember hearing the first song of many by Gaga that would make me a fan, which was her hit “Poker Face.” Lady Gaga is a visionary in addition to being a singer-songwriter and actress. On countless occasions through the course of her career, she has reinvented and always put her distinctive spin on her performances. She highly emphasizes artistry and her music video concepts, fashion and shows are always one of a kind and are what sets her and her unique brand apart such as her Super-Bowl halftime performance in 2017. Gaga has won numerous awards, most notably her 11 Grammys and the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress for her role in the film A Star is Born which introduced the single “Shallow,” with Bradley Cooper. She’s sold well over 124 million records and her music has consistently always been at the top of the charts. She is a bisexual woman and a major advocate of LGBTQ+ rights and equality. Being a philanthropist and activist, she founded the Born This Way Foundation which she started in 2012 in order to empower youth, emphasize mental health, and combat bullying. Recently she co-arranged the benefit concert One World: Together at Home to raise money in the fight against Covid-19. This event raised over $127 million which is comparable to the amount raised by Live Aid in 1985 that was previously the highest-grossing concert for charity ever. As a whole Lady Gaga is an ever-evolving, very eccentric yet inspiring artist who is one of the many queens of pop.

Michelle Obama 

As we all know Michelle Obama was the first African-American First Lady of the United States during her husband, and love of her life, Barack Obama’s administration. She grew up in Chicago, studied sociology and African-American Studies at Princeton before attending Harvard Law. She is a mother to two daughters Sasha and Malia Obama. Prior to her time as First Lady, Michelle was a lawyer and public servant. Still continuing on with her ties to those professions she is a writer, role model to many, advocate for servicemen and women, family health and wellness, education, and a multitude of other topics. Most noteworthy during her time in the White House she launched Let’s Move! a campaign geared towards incorporating physical activity into daily lifestyle to tackle the issue of childhood obesity. In association with Jill Biden, she created Joining Forces in 2011 which promoted further allyship to veterans, men and women currently serving, and the obstacles that they and their families face. She also started the Reach Higher Initiative and Let Girls Learn which both highlight the importance and ease of accessibility to gaining higher education and to help women on a global scale continue to stay in school. She was an exemplary first lady and her wisdom and conduct should set precedents for the role in the future. In all honesty, Michelle Obama is a role model for many women, is extremely accomplished and well-spoken, and let’s be real, her and Barack’s kind of marriage is something we all strive for!

Anne Hathaway 

Hathaway has had many roles throughout her successful career as an actress, probably the most notable, (or at least to me,) was her role in “The Princess Diaries,” as the iconic Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, princess of Genovia. We also can’t forget about her as Ella of Frell in Ella Enchanted (which is still one of my favorite movies to this day). At one time she was the highest-paid actress in the world and has made over $6 billion from her performances and films. She has two sons and has been married to her husband Adam Shulman since 2012. Hathaway gives generously to many organizations and charities and is an advocate for gender equality as a UN Women goodwill ambassador. She has done work for the Human Rights Campaign as well the Times Up initiative which protects women from harassment and discrimination. Working with the prominent director Christopher Nolan, she co-starred in the award-winning film adaptation of Les Misérables. These are just a few of many organizations, projects, and roles that Hathaway has been involved with. Definitely a favorite actress and role model for me, I’m ready to see what’s next for her and for a Princess Diaries 3, (here’s hoping!)

Ariana Grande 

Ariana Grande absolutely dominates many of my Spotify playlists. Her expansive four octave vocal range elevates her to a level that many will never reach and her hits speak for themselves. She is an actress and singer-songwriter with countless grammy nominations Billboard and MTV Video music awards and is the most followed woman on Instagram with a whopping 203 million followers. Ariana had her breakthrough on Nickelodeon appearing in the popular teen show Victorious and soon after kept her persona from the show and co-starred in a new one called Sam and Cat. The premise of Victorious being about highschool kids that attend a performing arts school gave people a glimpse into Grande’s talent. At one time she had three tracks “7 Rings,” “Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored” and “Thank U, Next” holding the top three spots on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. To put this in perspective the last musician(s) to do that were The Beatles in 1964. She’s dated notorious people like the late Mac Miller, who died so tragically, and Pete Davidson. Her recent music has emphasized her struggles and triumphs with these aspects as she now is focusing on herself, her artistry, and her advocacy. Truly she has a gift for singing that is unmatched and I know she’s a forever classic artist for me. 

I highly suggest making a list of the people that inspire you. In writing this I realized a lot more about the qualities and aspects that I strive towards and idolize. Doing this may give you more insight into why you may look up to others. 

Major: Psychology / Minor: Human Development & Family Studies Aspiring therapist and eventual clinical psychologist Quick facts: I'm originally from Colorado and am a fitness enthusiast, ecofeminist, I love the arts and enjoy cooking.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor