7 tips for wearing dark lipstick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Bold lips: one of the greatest trends to grace our faces every fall and winter season. But dark lipstick can be intimidating.

Below are 7 easy tips and tricks to make that lipstick more wearable.

Here’s a promise: you CAN pull it off.

1. Keep the rest of your makeup minimal

No one is saying you can’t have smoky eyes and a dark lip, but letting your lips steal the show can be a fun way to switch up your autumnal makeup.

A simple sweep of brow gel and mascara can really let your lips do the talking.

Bonus: lipstick takes less time in the morning than elaborate eyeshadow.

2. Blur the edges

To emulate the ultimate cool French girl, blur your lips. It’s a romantic twist that contrasts the sharp, over-lined lips of American makeup.

Using a tiny brush or sponge, lightly blend the edges of your lips inwards to create a soft focus.

3. Thin it out

A deep berry or red can seem too bold. Especially if it’s your first time, dark lips can straight up look out of place on your face.

Using a palette, the back of your hand, or your lips, mix a bold lipstick with some rose salve, Vaseline or other lip balm.

Thinning the consistency of the lipstick makes it more of a comfortable tint than a bold statement.

4. Pick a brown/beige undertone

Lipsticks with neutral undertones are generally more wearable than those with pink or red ones. Mauves, deep browns, maroon, and burgundy can be a good way to start your dark-lipped journey.

5. Satin finish

Matte lips are everywhere, but in some cases, they have potential be drying and uncomfortable. A lipstick with a satin or velvet finish usually means you’ll get a more consistent look all day. Benefits are no flaking, fine lines, or that weird sticky rim between your mouth and lipstick.

Note: this does mean the lipstick might not be as long-lasting as a matte finish. Bring your lipstick on the go just in case!

6. Keep it off your teeth

The finger trick! After you apply your makeup, put one or two fingers in your mouth, close your lips around them and pull them out. Sounds weird, I get it. This trick is old as time and works like a charm. You’ll even see the lipstick on your finger that could’ve gotten on your teeth.

Dark lipstick does mean a little more caution. Checking a mirror or your phone camera every once in a while can keep you at ease throughout the day.

7. Drink with a straw

Fairly self-explanatory. But drinking through a straw will minimize the chance of your lipstick ending up on your chin, nose, upper lip or cup. No messes here!

As always, remember you’re just as gorgeous with heaps of makeup or without any at all. 

Hi I'm Britt, I'm 23 and graduating after the Fall 2020 semester with a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communications and two minors in Spanish and Creative Writing.  I love to dive into topics under beauty, fashion, music, art, and culture. I enjoy going a little deeper and finding information that I think readers will learn from or want to learn more about.   A couple of my favorite things are shopping (especially local!), writing, and watching movies with tons of popcorn.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor