Life > Experiences

7 Tailgating Foods That Are Touchdown Worthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So you say you’re a collegiette tailgater who wears thier colors proudly and is the one who always has the delicious foods out? Well it is time to add some more recipies to your collection of awesomeness.  Here are some tasty tailgating goodies that are scrubtious and will have everyone game ready. And, since our Utah Utes are on fire this season, we need to continue to celebrate!

1. Mini Deep Dish Pizzas

Just look at them… The fact that their mini says enough. Small, affordable, and a food favorite. These cute little pizzas will be a hit at your tailgate party!

Recipe By: Damn Delicious

Ingredients

· 4 Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for burritos (8 inch)

· 1 cup pizza sauce

· 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

· 1/4 cup grated Parmesan

· 36-48 mini pepperonis

Instructions

1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin or coat with nonstick spray.

2.Working one at a time, lay tortilla on a flat surface. Using an empty can, cut 3-4 medium circles, pressing firmly enough in a rocking motion to cut through the   tortilla.

3. Fit a tortilla circle into each of 12 muffin tins, pressing carefully to make sure there is an opening in the center. Scoop 1 tablespoon pizza sauce into each muffin tin. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, topping with 3 mini pepperonis each.

4.Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese has melted.

5. Serve immediately.

2. Fruit Kabobs

For the health nut in all of us! Just looking at them makes you think of all the fruit combinations to try. Not only are they a healhty tailgating food, but also an easy sweet treat. To add to the sweetness be sure to try the fruit dip

Recipe By: Mom Endeavors

Ingredients

• Fruit (of your choice)
  • Kabob Sticks
  • Fruit Dip
  • 18oz. Cream Cheese (room temperature)
  • 1 Cup Marshmallow Crème
  • 2 or 3 T orange juice
  • ½ – 1 Cup drained crushed pineapple

Instructions

1. Put fruit on Kabobs

2.  Let cool

3. Mix fruit dip ingredients

4. Enjoy!

3. Baked Cream Cheese Wontons

Cream cheese anything is am-a-a-a-zing. These are baked instead of fried and still have the great taste. Easy to grab and not too overfilling, they are too good not to bring along to the party.

Recipe by: Damn Delicious

Ingredients

• 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and roughly chopped (optional)
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha, optional
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 16 2-inch wonton wrappers
  • 1 large egg, beaten

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine shrimp, cream cheese, garlic, green onions, ginger, sesame oil and Sriracha, if using; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  3. To assemble the wontons, place wrappers on a work surface. Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons of the mixture into the center of each wrapper. Using your finger, rub the edges of the wrappers with egg. Fold all sides over the filling to create an “X”, pinching the edges to seal.
  4. Place wontons in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet; coat with nonstick spray. Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
  5. Serve immediately.

4. Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites

Now, for the collegiette who is in love with bacon and eats everything that has to do with bacon. These are tiny bites of happiness that should go quickly at your tailgating parties.

Recipe By: Lovely Little Kitchen

Ingredients:

• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup apricot pepper jam
  • 18 bacon strips, cut in half
  • optional: dried parsley and freshly cracked pepper

Dipping Sauce

• 1/3 cup apricot pepper jam
  • 2 tablespoons water

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place an oven proof rack inside a rimmed baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray.
  3. Cut chicken breasts into one inch cubes and place them in a large bowl.
  4. Warm apricot pepper jam in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Reserve two tablespoons, and then pour the rest over the chicken and toss to coat.
  5. Wrap each chicken cube with a half strip of bacon, and secure with a toothpick.
  6. Brush each one with the reserved jam.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip each chicken bite over. Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is nicely browned.

For The Dipping Sauce

1. In a small microwave safe bowl, combine jam and water. Heat for 30 seconds and stir. If it is still to thick, add another tablespoon of water and reheat

5. Mini Caramel Apple

Its a favorite treat, in a mini size! You can enjoy this sweet goodness in bite sized! super easy to make and even easier to make disappear. This treat is a delightful recipie for any collegiate tailgater!

Recipe by: My Litter

Ingredients

• Cake Pop Sticks
  • Melon Baller
  • 2 Green Apples
  • Caramel Bites

Instructions

1. Scoop out apple with Mellon bar (apples should be at room temp)
  2. Put on cookie sheet with wax paper
  3. Insert cake pop sticks
  4. Melt caramel, let cool before dipping apples
  5. Enjoy! (do not put in fridge)

6. Twice Baked Cheesy Hummus Potato Bites

Hummus is delicious…and to find out you can mix it with potatoes to make these cute bites, is a extra plus! This recipie will sure to have your tailgating buddies curiousity.

Recipe By: Bite of Health Nutrition

Ingredients

• 18 mini potatoes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • ¼ cup Sabra Classic Hummus
  • ¼ cup low fat milk
  • 4 tablespoons scallion, chopped finely
  • ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Wash potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir to evenly coat. Place on rimmed cookie sheet. Spread potatoes out so they aren’t touching.
  3. Bake for 35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
  4. Remove cooked potatoes from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
  5. Using a knife cut off the tops of each of the potatoes. With a spoon scoop out the center of the potato and place in a medium size bowl.
  6. To the potatoes add hummus, milk, 2 tablespoons of scallions and salt and pepper to taste. Evenly fill potato skins with filling and place back onto the cookie sheet. Top each with shredded cheddar cheese.
  7. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining scallions.

7. Garlic Herb Cheese Bombs

Carbs are a weakness, a total weakness. However, they are a delicious weakness that we can all give into at least once. These are small and great to grab and go and should be fun to have next to your previous delicious treat.

Recipe By: Rasa Malaysia

Ingredients

• 2 Cans refrigerated biscuits
  • 4oz. Mozzarella cheese, cut into 20 cubes
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Some fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
  • A tiny pinch of salt
      Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Open the biscuit cans and separate the biscuits. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Wrap the cheese bombs by placing one cube of the cheese in the center of each biscuit. Carefully wrap the biscuit dough around the cheese, pinch the biscuit to close and seal tight. Place the seam part down and arrange the biscuits so they are at least 1-inch apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until the surface turn golden brown.
  3. While the biscuits are baked in the oven, mix the butter, garlic powder, salt, and parsley leaves together. Set aside.
  4. Remove the biscuits from the oven and brush with the butter mixture immediately. Serve warm.

Happy tailgating, Collegiettes!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor