Style

6 Winter Accessories You Need In Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We’ve hit that time of year where fashion is a real pain in the butt. First of all, it’s cold. Second of all, snow. Say goodbye to cute sneakers and graphic tees, it’s marshmallow szn, baby. You have to strike a balance between not freezing to death but also avoiding looking like the Michelin Man. How do you stay cute and warm?? Is it even possible??? Don’t worry ladies because yes, yes it is. I’m bringing you my top 6 winter accessories that keep you cozy and chic at all times. Granted, I’m still inclined to throw on leggings and a different variation of crewnecks or hoodies almost every day, but on the days I decide to make a little more of an effort, these things are my go-to.

I started with a basic outfit, leggings and a sweater, and layered from there.

1. Booties

Snow boots can be kind of a drag. They’re usually not super cute, and they’re big and clunky and heavy. My hack for this? Rain boots! I got a pair of Jeffrey Campbell rain booties from Nordstrom earlier this year, and I’ve been wearing them nonstop. I stick my feet in some fuzzy socks to keep them warm, and the rain boots do the rest! If it’s not super wet out, I think any type of bootie is great for the winter. Booties are always comfortable, and you can fit warm socks into them so your toes don’t freeze. 

Find a similar pair of boots here.

2. Ruffle Socks

I guess we’re going from bottom up here. Ruffled socks are the perfect way to dress up an outfit discreetly, and keep your feet warm! These are very easy to come by, and they’re super inexpensive. Even just paired with a pair of leggings, they make it look like you put a little bit of effort into your outfit.

Find a similar pair of socks here.

3. A Pea Coat

I guess a coat isn’t really an accessory, but it’s definitely a winter essential. Puffer coats and teddy bear coats are wayyyy trendy this year (mine is currently in the mail and I could not be more excited), but pea coats will always be a classic. I’ve had this one for years and it’s held up amazingly, and considering I literally haven’t grown since middle school it still fits, so lucky me. Pea coats are extremely warm, and they’re a little more fashionable than your classic black down jacket (no hate to down jackets though, thanks for keeping us all v warm). I usually pull mine out on occasions when I want to look a little dressier but also want to avoid losing a body part to frostbite.

Find a similar pea coat here.

4. Scarves

Next in line, scarves. When I wear a scarf, I don’t usually wear it for an entire day, but it’s really nice to have one on hand for the times when I need to brave the cold. Infinity scarves were all the rage in middle school and high school, but it’s time for them to move over and make way for the real GOAT, the blanket scarf. I styled with my outfit with two different ones (seen above and in the next picture), and I’m pretty sure they’re both from Forever 21, so no need to break the bank on this one. Right before I need to go outside to head to my next class I bundle up, wrap a scarf around loosely, and it’s onward bound for me.

Find similar scarves here

5. Hats

There’s really nothing better than a good hat. I styled this outfit with two different hats: a beanie and my favorite felt brimmed hat from Urban Outfitters. Beanies are, without a doubt, the best way to keep your ears warm during the winter. However, if, like me, you’re not a huge fan of the static hair you get as soon as you take your beanie off, felt hats like this one can definitely still be pulled off in the winter. I don’t believe in limiting fashion to one season. If you can make it work, rock it whenever! Brimmed hats still keep your head warm, plus they shield your eyeballs from sun and snow, and nobody can ever argue that they’re not trendy af. A win win win!

Find a similar beanie here, or a similar felt brim here.

6. Scrunchies

Last but not least, my favorite year-round wrist accessory, the scrunchie. I included scrunchies in this list because they are such a helpful thing to have on hand, and if it’s not in your hair, it looks cute on your wrist, and you can rock all the hip, retro vibes. I can’t count the number of times that my hair has either gotten caught in a jacket or has exploded with static as I wrap and unwrap my scarf for the millionth time. In these instances, I just whip out my trusty scrunchie and tie my hair back until I can let it down comfortably again. Long hair is a big pain sometimes. Please tell me I’m not the only one who has these issues.

Find similar scrunchies here.

So yes, it would undoubtedly be easy to throw on three sweatshirts and a pair of leggings every day in the winter and call it good, but I have faith that we can take it a step further. It takes just a little extra effort to pull a cute outfit together every once in a while, but I really think it’s worth it. I mean, come on, how much time out of your day does it really take to put on a hat, or pop a scrunchie on your wrist? I can almost guarantee you that you won’t miss that extra 30 seconds of sleep.

Photo Source: me

Ellie is a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Ballet and Strategic Communications. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a member of It's On Us. She loves to travel, is a big fan of all things fashion, and has an unhealthy obsession with cute coffee shops. You can find her (and her blog) on Instagram @ellie.bresler
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor