6 Tips For Skiing on a Budget This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Whether you’re from Utah or moved here for school, the price to ski or snowboard can be a b*tch. But just because you’re a poor college student, doesn’t mean you have to miss out on some of the best skiing in the nation. Here’s six tips to make ski season more affordable.

1. Locals Discount lift tickets

The simplest way to get cheaper lift tickets is to buy with the Local’s Discount. Most ski shops in the valley, as well as the University of Utah Union Services Desk, offer the Local’s Discount at Alta, Brighton, Deer Valley, Snowbasin, Snowbird, and Solitude. However, savings vary depending on the resort and the ticket, so make sure you buy the one you want. Some local ski shops that offer the discounts both online and in-store are Lifthouse, Ski N See, and Canyon Sports.

2. Multi-day passes

If you plan on skiing multiple days, but don’t want to commit to a season’s pass, a great option is buying a multi-day pass. Not every resort offers multi day passes, but a lot of the most popular ones do. Brighton offers 5 and 10 day Go-Cards, however they’re only available preseason, so you’ll have to get them between August 1st and October 31st. Other multi-day passes are Snowbird’s Ten 2 Share passes and Alta’s 10 day prepaid cards. These passes lower the cost to about $66 a day and they’re transferable, so they’re perfect if you want to split the cost with friends or family members.

3. Random Deals

Another easy way to save money on lift tickets is to keep an eye out for random deals. It takes a little more work to find these deals, but once you do they’re definitely worth it. Throughout December Brighton offers $25 day passes on select Wednesdays, if you bring items to donate. Here’s a  link with the dates and donations they’re asking for. Another deal to consider, if you plan on traveling during ski season, is Snowbasin’s Alaska Air deal. If you’re flying back to Utah from visiting home or even just a trip, consider flying Alaska Air. If you show your boarding pass to the ticket counter at Snowbasin, you get a free mid-week day pass. Here’s a link with more details.

4. Stick with seasons pass holders

If you’re jealous of your friends with season passes, fret not, you can still benefit from their investment. Brighton offers a $10 discount on day passes, if you’re friend shows their season pass at the ticket window. You can also mooch off your friends’ 10% off at Brighton Mountain Store, Milly Chalet and Blind Miner Coffee. If you’re looking for a discount out of the valley Park City offers discounted Ski With A Friend passes, if you show a season pass at the window. However, these discounts change depending on the day, so make sure you do your research before you buy your ticket.

5. Where to Rent

It’s always easy and convenient to rent from the resort you’re skiing at, but it’s a lot more affordable to rent from a local shop. The same shops mentioned before (Lifthouse, Canyon Sports, and Ski N See) offer rental packages starting at $25. Not to mention these shops have incredibly convenient locations. Ski N See has various locations throughout the valley, and Lifthouse is located right at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon, so more likely than not you’ll drive by it on your way to a resort.

6. Pick the Right Resort

Most importantly, pick the right resort. Do your research and figure out which resorts have the features you’re looking for. And most importantly be careful with your money and don’t buy a Deer Valley lift ticket when you’re on a Solitude budget.

Best of luck to all of you skiiers and snowboarders out there! Wishing you lots of fresh powder, without having to spend lots of your hard-earned cash.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor