Style > Beauty

6 Retro Songs to Listen to While You’re Getting Ready

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

When getting ready for an important event, or just a regular day, music can be ESSENTIAL to put you in the right mood for how you want to look. If you’re anything like me, then you absolutely have a flair for the retro, and sadly, sometimes listening to the Grease soundtrack on repeat just isn’t doesn’t do it for you anymore. 

If that’s the case for you, here are my favorite six song recommendations for when you’re in the mood to get retro, while you get ready for a night out.

1. Fever performed by Peggy Lee

Fever is a great song to listen to if you’re ready for a sizzling, sexy night out on the town. Peggy Lee’s voice is mesmerizing, and the lyrics are definitely fun to get pumped up to. Remember that you are a fierce goddess, and nothing can stop you!

2.  Teach Me Tonight performed by The McGuire Sisters

If you’re looking for a slower, and sweeter song to listen to while you get ready, Teach Me Tonight  is a great one to listen to, especially when you need to put focus into your eyeliner or a difficult part of your hair.

3. L’etang performed by Blossom Dearie

Another soft and beautiful number, L’etang is entirely in French. And who doesn’t love a 1950’s French pop song? It’s both bubblegum-y and blisteringly sad, making it a great song to listen to while getting ready if you’re in a retro mood.

4. The Way You Look Tonight  performed by Frank Sinatra

Is this a good song to listen to while getting ready? DUH. It’s literally about looking good, and always remembering how hot you are right now! Even though it’s supposed to be sung from a man to a woman, you can absolutely make it about your sweetheart, your friend, or even yourself! You are going to look AWESOME, so you should get yourself hyped about it.

5. Isn’t it a Lovely Day performed by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

Slow and soulful, this song is just the thing to make you relax and focus on making yourself look good. Also, Louis and Ella are brilliant: this is a fact.

6. Crazy He Calls Me performed by Billie Holiday

Billie Holiday is easily one of the greatest singers and performers of all time, and there’s really no way to doubt it. Her voice is so silky and lovely, she will inspire you to be your best self, while helping you daydream the whole time.

Those are only some of many great retro songs for you to get ready to–but, it’s a great start to have! May your lipstick be red, and your eyeliner wings be equal!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor