This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The big screen is only one of the hundreds of places where female minds and talents are unrightfully ignored. So what exactly is our first step in our journey to giving these women the attention they deserve? That’s right, it’s recognition on even the smallest platforms. With that, here is a few of the brilliant women creating remarkable movies in Hollywood right now. Ava DuVernay. This woman is a powerhouse. Constantly breaking boundaries. She was the first African-American woman to win the U.S. Directing Award: Dramatic, at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival. The first black female director to be nominated for a Golden Globe Award, for her film, Selma, which was the first film nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture directed by a black female. Most recently, she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Documentary for her film 13th (a Netflix original so watch it). In 2016, she executive produced and directed the television show Queen Sugar which premiered to critical acclaim. Her newest project, A Wrinkle in Time, stars Mindy Kaling, Resse Witherspoon, and OPRAH. The film is said to have a budget of over a $100 million, and if you haven’t watched the commercial a 100 million times I suggest you do. DuVernay’s films are a profound testament of the burden and oppression of black folks within the U.S. and tributes to those, who like she, break boundaries.Um, can you say wonder woman? Because not only did Patty Jenkins direct it, she is one. In 2003, she wrote and directed the film Monster, about serial killer and former prostitute Aileen Wuornos, which won Charlize Theron the Academy Award for Best Actress. Jenkins then had a series of projects fall through, and worked in television to spend more time with her child. Then, she signed on to direct the D.C. film Wonder Woman, making her the first female director of an American superhero movie. Released in 2017, the film quickly became the largest domestic opening of all-time for a female director. Eventually Wonder Woman became the highest-grossing film directed by a woman. Ever. The film empowered and inspired millions of girls and women world wide to be strong, courageous, and heroic, much like it’s director.Kathryn Bigelow, aka, the Queen of Action. This woman has directed film after film, packed tight with intense jaw-clenching action and suspense. From war films such as Zero Dark Thirty to the classic action-crime film The Point Break, Bigelow has an extensive collection of magnificent work. With her film The Hurt Locker she become the first and only (totally ridiculous and unjustified I know) woman to win the Academy Award for Best Director, the Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directing, and the BAFTA Award for Best Direction. Her film Zero Dark Thirty was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars 2013. Her films reach a large audience of both men and women, and the topics Bigelow tackles being considered masculine just proves that women can do and direct anything. Bigelow’s extensive film career has been ground-breaking for women and has become a staple of Hollywood. The Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation, Somewhere, and The Beguiled. Sofia Coppola creates beautiful artistic and intriguing films. A dominator of the Indie genre, Coppola is the first American woman to win the Golden Lion (the highest award at the Venice Film Festival) for her film Somewhere, and the Best Director Award at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival for The Beguiled. She earned the Academy Award for Best Screenplay, and became the third woman to be nominated for Best Director for her film Lost in Translation. Sofia Coppola’s distinctive poetic style of mixing the feminine with the horrid remains influential in the world of cinema.Dee Rees is a movement maker. Her debut feature film Pariah premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festivals, and won her the Gotham Award for Best Breakthrough Director. It’s a deeply human film about a 17-year-old-African-American lesbian navigating her identity. In November 2017, Rees premiered Mudbound, which she both wrote and directed, in theaters and on Netflix (watch this film when you have time to be severely emotionally affected). The film garnered her an Academy Award Nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay, making her the first black woman to receive a nomination in this category. Mudbound is the story of two WWII veterans- one white and one black, and their families in rural Mississippi. It addresses graphically and brutally the racism rampant in our country only a couple of generations ago. It forces the viewer to stare into the raging, violent face of our own history. Rees’ brilliant writing and directing bring to life this gruesome tale without losing grace, and hope in humanity.Greta freaking Gerwig. What a doll. Gerwig burst onto the directing scene with her debut film, Lady Bird. The film won the Golden Globe for Best Picture- Musical or Comedy. Gerwig earned nominations at the Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Director (making her the fifth woman ever nominated in this category). The beautiful, poignant, and human tale of a young girl coming-of-age has been universally touching to audiences of all backgrounds, making Gerwig’s directorial debut an incredible sensation. Here’s to hoping she’ll follow in Bigelow’s footsteps and snag the Oscar for Best Director. We’re cheering for you Greta!

Keep rooting for these women in film! Powerful women need powerful voices to support them. 

Photo Source: 1. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Caroline Anderson is currently a Freshman at the University of Utah double majoring in English and Gender Studies. She is passionate about writing, politics, and female empowerment and felt that Her Campus was a unique convergence of these interests, making it an ideal platform to share her views from. Caroline is a lover of modern art, Europe, chamomille tea, Beyoncé, and her crazy, loud, extended family. She can be best summarized by Shakespeare, "Though she be but little, she is fierce." 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor