This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Ever wanted to have long hair, but your hair seems to take years to grow out? Here are five ways to increase the rate at which your hair grows, and keep it healthy as you grow it.

Massage your scalp daily

Massaging your scalp increases blood flow and stimulates your hair follicles, promoting growth and encouraging thicker hair. This is probably the most crucial step I have found that helps me grow hair faster, and in a way that preserves healthy hair. You can do scalp massages at any time of the day, but I prefer to do it while washing my hair in the shower. However, excessive shampooing can deteriorate the natural oils in your hair needed for healthy hair, so be careful!

Sleep with a silk pillowcase

Silk pillowcases work to decrease rubbing and tangling while you sleep, and decrease the friction that comes with normal, cotton pillowcases. They don’t absorb as much of the dirt and oil from your skin and hair, which in turn leads to more moisturized hair because your hair can retain its natural oils.

Enhance your diet

Eating iron-rich or protein-rich foods, such as fish, vegetables, milk, and beans, promote hair growth and keep your hair shiny. Drinking lots of water is also crucial to keeping your hair and skin hydrated, which is important to maintain healthy and fast-growing hair.

Buy some coconut oil

Coconut oil can work wonders on your hair. Whether it’s rejuvenating dry or damaged hair, promoting hair growth, or taming frizzy hair, coconut oil is a life-saving product to turn to for healthy hair. Because of the natural vitamins and fatty acids, coconut oil works as a hair moisturizer and prevents breakage, as well as removes sebum build-up.

Trim your hair routinely

Even though it might seem like trimming your hair is just going to make it shorter, getting routine trims is actually crucial to achieving healthy, long hair. Having damaged, broken split ends can actually cause your healthy hair to break faster and stunt hair growth. Trimming your hair every 8-12 weeks saves your healthy hair, and the act itself is actually said to stimulate hair growth.

These few tips completely changed my hair growth game, and they can change yours too! By implementing a few of these steps into your daily routine, you can start growing your hair faster, and most importantly, healthier.

Mary Muench is a senior at the University of Utah majoring in Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science. She knows too much about coffee and enjoys white-water rafting and hammocking.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor