jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to be Happy and Confident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Beginning sometime in middle school I started struggling to feel genuinely happy and comfortable in my own skin, sadly that’s something almost every girl in today’s society deals with every day of their life.  It’s so hard to feel beautiful when you see yourself through your water-speckled bathroom mirror and you’re seeing every other girl through an Instagram filter.  Now, I can’t say I’ve figured out the key to waking up flawless and feeling like you’re Cara Delevingne everyday, but here are a few ways to help you be more like the girl who seems happy, smart, beautiful and most of all confident. 

1.     Stop comparing yourself to others.

There will always be women you think are beautiful. Maybe you think they are more beautiful than you but if that’s the case you need to stop thinking that way.  Stop comparing people to each other and furthermore stop comparing yourself to others! Make it a goal to focus on you more, and I don’t mean that in a selfish way, the next time you see someone who you feel is better than you are and makes you think about your shortcomings, re-direct your thoughts to how you are great in so many ways. Take a moment to appreciate something about yourself. If what you feel you’re lacking is something you can change then instead of comparing just focus on you and how you can change the thing you don’t like about yourself.  Stay focused on you. 

2.Don’t stress the little things

There are so many small things that we think we need to worry about that we don’t. Don’t worry that you ate too many chicken nuggets last night.  Don’t worry that you made a joke that literally no one laughed at today.  Don’t worry that the shirt you’re wearing doesn’t feel flattering at all. Don’t worry. Chances are the little things you’re worrying about are things no one else is even noticing.  Challenge yourself to not worry so much about what others think of you. Just relax and let things happen, as long as you’re focusing on you and your path the little things shouldn’t matter and you’ll be able to succeed with out self-conscious thoughts and feelings hindering you. 

3.Remember that you are a gift

You are here for a reason.  You are you for a purpose.  Your life is vibrant and unique and you add something to everyone’s life that you touch.  You are capable of so many great things and have already done many amazing things that have affected a lot of people for the better.  Nothing would be the same if you didn’t exist. 

4. Be positive

Happiness and confidence seem to go hand in hand.  You always hear it said that people gravitate towards positive people, and it’s true. Learn to love life, even on days when nothing interesting or out of the ordinary happens.  Happiness isn’t always automatic. Some days you have to tell yourself, “Today I choose to be happy”.  How do you do that you ask? Laugh more, seek to stay inspired, and look for the good in every situation. 

5.     Do what you love

Don’t waste time doing things you don’t actually like.  If you love something do it.  If it takes training or work to do that thing, work for it.  If you’re doing something everyday that you hate and you see it going nowhere great then don’t do it anymore.  Life’s too short. 

Communications major at the University of UtahDiet Coke and sea monster enthusiastTrying to change the world one sarcastic article at a time
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor