5 Tricks for Staying Awake in a Never Ending Lecture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It is the mid-afternoon on a Wednesday and you’re in your last class. You stayed up extremely late the night before completing an assignment that was due at 11 am the next morning, and you have consequently been feeling groggy all day. The professor’s words seem to come more slowly, and soon his or her monotonic tone begins to slowly lead you towards unconsciousness. Your eyes begin to close, your head begins to droop, and then you enter a brief dream which is only interrupted by your head bobbing down and snapping back up. You quickly try to make it appear as if you were fully coherent the entire time by jotting down some notes, then tentatively gazing at the professor with shame. Sound familiar?

Let’s be honest, between school, work, clubs, and relationships, it’s difficult to find enough time to sleep, let alone the willpower to stay awake during a lecture on graphing spheres.

Here is your guide for staying awake during extensive lectures:

1.      Consuming Food and Beverages

Most professors are pretty lenient in allowing students eat food in class. If yours is, bring a snack or your lunch to last you throughout the lecture. Intermittently, take a bite of an apple or a sip of water between jotting down notes and you will be fully conscious throughout the duration of your lecture. If your professor is not open to the idea of food in class, bring gum!

2.      Sitting Towards the Front of the Classroom

Yes, sitting towards the front of class is something most all of us shy away from because we are terrified of closing the gap between us and the professor, but sitting in such a close proximity to the professor will ensure that you remain more, if not fully, awake.

3.      Perform a Mindless Activity

Whether it be doodling, writing a short story, writing a letter, etc., making sure that your hands are active can really help you to stay awake. Of course texting does not apply here, collegiettes, we’re trying to stay awake to focus on the lecture!!

4.      Ask Questions and Engage in the Discussion

Again, something MANY of us shy away from is participating when the professor asks a question, or asking questions of our own. But when we ask a question, our senses become sharpened and fully aware and our hearts pound in anticipation of what the professor will say in response to our commentary/question. This is a surefire way to wake you up! And, you’ll be more interested in paying attention to the lecture.

5.      Get Up and Walk Around

If all else fails, leave the classroom and either go to the restroom, or walk the halls until you feel that you are fully awake.

There you have it: your guide to staying awake in a less-than-exciting lecture. Hang in there!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor