This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With the start of the new semester, many students have moved in or have returned to living on campus. While the dorms can be a great option for many students, dorm life can present its own special challenges — especially if you’re living away from your parents for the first time. I have lived on campus for the past two years, and my experiences have shown me the lows and highs of dorm life.

Your Dorm Space

My first year, I was in a triple room, and last year I had a single room inside an apartment style dorm — in both cases, when I would return from class, I loved coming back to a place that I had decorated and arranged. Your space does not have to be decorated to Pinterest levels if you don’t want that, but having a few blankets, some artwork, posters, lights, and plants can all help to make your space feel more comfortable and like it’s yours.

Roommates

When it comes to dorm life, roommates can either make or break your experience. I’ve had some great roommates, but I can also share a few horror stories. While you may or may not be able to choose who you live with, you can change how you approach the situation. As long as you are open, honest, willing to communicate, and can make a few compromises, you should be in the clear!

Dining Halls

Meals on campus can generally be hit or miss, but this can be especially true in the dining halls. At first, it may seem as if your options are endless, but somehow these options quickly run out. Luckily, at the U, there are many places on campus for students to grab a bite to eat — with food trucks, the food court, and several restaurants and shops on campus, there are ways to avoid the monotony of the dining halls. But still, being open to trying new things and cooking some of your own food can make a big difference.

Escape Campus

While campus life can be great and can offer many activities, it’s also important to get away often. Whether it’s visiting family, going to restaurants, shopping, watching movies, or studying at a coffee shop, make sure to get away from campus every now and then to clear your headspace and avoid a monotonous routine.

Be Open to New Opportunities

One of the great parts about living on campus is being so close to people your age. There are countless activities and chances to expand your horizons, meet some new people, and try something different. While it can be difficult to get out of your comfort zone, you never know what you’ll miss if you don’t challenge yourself every once in a while. So, try out that new sport, go to that movie screening, and see what happens!

They do say these are the best four years of your life (insert eye roll here), but living on campus can greatly impact your college career — so make the most of the pains and joys of dorm life!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Senior at the University of Utah studying English, Spanish, and Philosophy Passionate about art, grammar, and ethics
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor