5 Things You Should Know About Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Approaching the new semester, you might have noticed that “Greek Life” or Fraternity and Sorority Life are mentioned at almost every gathering designed for new students. When I was a freshman, I really had no clue what “recruitment” meant, and I almost couldn’t believe how often I was asked, “Are you rushing a sorority this fall?” But, even though I was young and naïve, I ended up deciding to check out what this whole sorority thing was about, and I eventually fell in love with the community. Now that I have been an active member of a sorority for over two years, here are some questions (and answers!) that I wish I had before going through recruitment!

What is recruitment like?

Recruitment looks different at every university, so I’ll only speak to my experience at the University of Utah. Initially, I was pretty overwhelmed by the number of women that I saw going through recruitment, but once we were broken up into smaller groups and I got to know the women in my group, I felt a lot more comfortable. I had recruitment counselors who answered lots of questions, and they helped to guide everyone through the process. Yes, a large element of recruitment is singing/clapping, but once you get through that part, you get to talk to real people from each sorority who are there to help you figure out which chapter is the best fit for you.  

Are sororities really like the movies?

While there is lots of glitter and there can be large swarms of girls screaming about something, I’ve mostly found that the movies portray an unrealistic view of sororities. The women I’ve met through sorority life have been some of the smartest, kindest, and most encouraging people I’ve known. By joining a sorority, I found an incredibly supportive community and I’ve made friends that will last a lifetime. Some aspects of sorority life have pushed me to get outside my comfort zone, and my more introverted nature has been challenged at times — but it has all been for the best.

How do you know which chapter is right for you?

Throughout the whole recruitment process, the idea that it was a “mutual selection” was very reassuring — not only are you trying to find the right chapter for you, but the sororities themselves are also working to make sure that you would be at home in their chapter. You might end up having the same conversations about your major and where you’re from, but as you meet more women from each house, you’ll learn more about their community and, hopefully, you’ll find a place where you’re comfortable and where you want to get to know more people. And, just because you join one sorority, doesn’t mean you won’t have the chance to get to know and become friends with women in other sororities and women who decide not to join a chapter.  

What are the benefits of joining a sorority?

When you join a sorority, you almost immediately gain a community of people who want to get to know you and want to support you. It might take some time to find the right group of people, but joining a sorority has helped me make some of my closest friends from my college career. While there is a large financial component associated with joining a sorority, the benefits should outweigh the costs. You are almost guaranteed times where you will see all of your sisters, and there is always some event to look forward to. But, even more importantly, the times where you stay up late talking with your sisters, the countless coffee runs, the unplanned sleepovers, and all of the other small moments have made the largest impact.  

Can I only join as a freshman?

At the University of Utah, you can join during “formal recruitment” during any fall semester, and many other sororities offer “informal recruitment” during fall and spring semesters. I joined through formal recruitment because I wanted the chance to get to know every sorority available, even though it was a more overwhelming process. But, for a more laid back experience, informal recruitment can be a great option. Recruitment might typically be advertised to freshmen, but sophomores and juniors are also welcome — and I’ve even known a few seniors that have joined as well!

While there are so many more elements to recruitment, hopefully this article has been helpful! If you’re on the fence about recruitment, and if you’re curious to learn more, I’d say that you should just go for it! Simply choosing to go through recruitment does not automatically mean that you have to be a member of your sorority for the whole four years. But, joining a sorority has been one of the best decisions I have made for my college career — from the friendships to the leadership opportunities, I could not imagine going to school without the community I’ve gained from sorority life.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Senior at the University of Utah studying English, Spanish, and Philosophy Passionate about art, grammar, and ethics
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor