5 Things That Suck But Make Us Grateful.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The meaning of Thanksgiving has surprisingly remained the same over the years. It is a day we feast to celebrate the Native Americans and Pioneers coming together. Thus, acknowledging what we are personally thankful for and indulging in a similar meal that was prepared many years ago.

Every year, my family goes around the table and says what they are most thankful for. As a college student, I am grateful that my Wednesday classes are cancelled and for a meal large enough to compensate for the last six months of ramen. But while my grandmother is looking me strait in the eye, the pressure to melt her heart is very high.

So I say: “I am thankful for the food prepared, my loving family and my health.” Don’t get me wrong, I am most definitely thankful for every one of those things but why? Because my grandmother is present and I cant say “I am thankful I could get day drunk yesterday and that you guys are feeding me for free so pass the mashed potatoes!”

Here is what actually make us raw, grateful people:

1. A Sunday Hangover

If I wasn’t hung over last Sunday I wouldn’t have had an excuse to snuggle in bed watching gossip girl all while my sympathetic roommate made me soup. It made me realize how thankful I am for gossip girl, soup and most importantly my roommate.

2. Bombing a Midterm or Final.

College is about preparing us for the future and although we will make mistakes once we get to our careers, it is better to make the ones we can learn from now. Grades are important but so is learning, so I am thankful for that ‘F’ because I learned so much from it and I know that will save me down the road.

3. The Boy Who Ditched.

If he showed up to the coffee shop we were supposed to meet at I would have never picked up a book about a man who watches his life disappear because of a brain tumor. Which made me realize how grateful I am for not only my health but my families health as well.

4. Heartbreak.

Heartbreak is what makes a person venerable, which affects the next path we decide to take. While your chest may sting and your motivation is low, once you get through this there are more rewards you will receive out of your life than you thought was possible. It made me become thankful for who I am.

5. A car Accident.

A car accident happens before you can realize what is going on. Once it is over all you can think about is how you wish you could turn back time and do something differently. I am here to tell you accidents happen. When they do it is a time to step away from material items and cherish your safety.

I hope your holiday season is not defined by the wrapping on the outside of your gifts, but a celebration of all that you have gone through and realizing what you are truly thankful for.

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor