5 Things to Know Before You Get Your Nipple Pierced

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So maybe you have seen Kendall Jenner’s nipple piercing under her tight tank top, and suddenly feel a longing to rock the sexy, yet subtle look. Perhaps you would like to have an edgy secret that will be shared under only the most intimate of exchanges. Hey, no judging. Call it a quarter-life-crisis, but this Fall break I said, “Hey, what the hell”, and found myself in a grungy tattoo and piercing studio in downtown Missouri, with a handful of supportive friends gathered around a stranger clamping my nipple. With that, I am here to tell you the five things you need to know when getting your nipple pierced. Whether you’re here because you’re looking to get one, or are just curious, hopefully my painful experience is, at least, entertaining if not informative.

1. This is an event worth pre-gaming.

I was unfortunately SO sober for this, and let me tell you, I wish I could go back in time and pour some shots down my throat in preparation. This was going to hurt.

2. You are going to want to go first.

The best decision I made that night was to go first out of my friends. After hearing my reaction, my other friends were scared to death to go, and I know I would have felt the same way had I been second or third. (I know, I am really selling you on this, aren’t I?)

3. The pain, is…awful.

Yeah, no way to get around this one, many expletives were yelled in the piercing studio. It is a needle going through your nipple, what do you expect? Beauty is pain, and nipple piercings are no exception.

4.The healing process is significantly less awful.

Honestly, I have had this piercing for less than two weeks, and I forget I have it all the time. You would think that because your clothes are rubbing up against it all the time that you would constantly be in pain, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Promise. Also you would think that it would hurt to sleep on it, but if you wear a loose sports bra to bed, you should be fine! If you need motivation for this… look how cute Rihanna looks with her piercing.

5. Aftercare

Forget that it’s there. Honestly. No need to use special soaps to clean or anything. Unless it is inflamed, the water in the shower cleans it just fine. If it is inflamed or irritated, use the same saline solution you would use for ear piercings.

Ready to take the plunge? Get a group of your bravest friends and go for it, I am sure you will love your new piercing!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor