andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things Girls Need to Stop Doing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Girls – even when we’re wrong, we’re always right (am I right?!).  I’ve used this defense on more than one occasion and sometimes it works! But, (secretly) sometimes it doesn’t. There are a few things that we girls are definitely wrong in doing. Maybe you yourself aren’t guilty – I doubt it – but you know someone who is. Hell, I’m guilty of every single one. But admitting we’re actually at fault is the first step to recovery. And just so we’re clear – if we admit fault before anyone accuses us of it…are we really “wrong?”  Of course not – so educate yourselves!

1.       ACCEPTING DATES FROM BOYS WE DON’T LIKE. 

“He’s not bad…and I mean it’s free food.” How many times have we told our friends that? No lie. We, like every other person on this earth, love getting free food. And we don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings! Okay mostly it’s the free food thing (you can only eat Ramen so many times a day).

But girls, we’ve got to stop letting people who we don’t see a future with spend money on us. It’s so unfair and when you think about it, down-right awful. Whether it’s free dinner, or Jazz tickets – it has to stop. Here’s what I suggest:  If you really are one of those girls who can’t say no to a boy who wants to take you out, only go out one time. If he asks you out again (and I don’t care if it’s to Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse or to Capitol Theatre) say no. Or actually, “No thank you,” would be better. Tell the boy that you enjoyed your date but you don’t think it would be fair for him to keep spending money on you. If you want to be friends with him, suggest doing an activity where you pay for yourselves – like going through the McDonald’s drive-thru! It’s a nice way to friend-zone him without embarrassing him.

2.       SLUT SHAMING OTHER GIRLS.

What does making fun of another girl do for you? I know, I know; she is probably the worst girl alive, with skank clothes, and low standards. And she seriously can’t keep her legs clos…wait!

If she’s so crappy, why do we always find ourselves wasting precious breaths talking about her? No really, why? Her sex life is really none of our business anyway! Girls, let’s stop trying to bring each other down and remember that heart-breaking boys are the real enemy here! Girl power right!? We just need to remember there are better ways to talk about girls, or let girls know that we’re worried about their weekend habits, than subtweeting #sloppy at them.

3.       SLUT SHAMING OURSELVES.

While we’re on the subject of making poor decisions – let’s remember we’ve all been there. When you, as Katy Perry says, “Go to bed with a ten and wake up with a two,” don’t worry, you’re not the first girl to have ever done that.

Hey, it might even work out for you later…

Don’t beat yourself up about it. Just, you know, pay better attention next time. And don’t let that boy take you out! (see #1).

4.       UNDERAPPRECIATING OUR PARENTS.

Have you ever thought about where in the world you would be without your annoying parents? The thought legitimately frightens me. I understand parents can be overbearing, fun-sucking, embarrassing, life-ruiners…

But they’ve put up with our sh*t for at least 18 years!

We need to learn to cut them some slack. I know there are many of us out there in our twenty somethings who still drop hints that we need gas money to our parents (and bless those moms and dads who let us believe it was actually their idea to fill up our tank)! Our parents have spent a lot on us financially and emotionally. Yet we’re out here like, we are 100% self-made, successful women. Yeah, I mean, we are awesome – but I think we owe our parents a little bit more credit.

Text them right now that you love them. That’s the greatest thing about parents, nine times out of ten they accept our attention and love as currency for the real money we owe them.

5.       ABBREVIATING WORDS WHILE TALKING.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO US? We are college women! We have a wider vocabulary than we did when texting with T9 was a thing. When did “totes,” “obvi,” and “adorbs” become acceptable words in speech? I can’t be the only one who’s slipped up in something that was important. “Why should we hire you?” “Well, aside from my willingness to put in the hours, I’m totes a people person.” Obvi, didn’t get the job. Girls abbreviating words in actual person to person speech needs to go out of style. Let’s keep it to just when texting. 

Ok ladies, now stop doing these things! We at Her Campus Utah believe in you!

English major. Avid Political Intern. Olivia Pope enthusiast. Designated "Mom" of the group. Wannabe yogi. Wine drinker.Living in and thoroughly enjoying Salt Lake City. Writing amusing and sarcastic material for the beautiful undergrads of THE U. (The original one here in Utah. Sorry not Sorry Miami.)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor