5 Reasons Why You Appreciate Your Mom More In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I have always been close to my mom, but it took me going to college to realize how much that I rely on her every day. I truly don’t know what I would do without her, and these are five reasons why college has made me realize it even more!

1. You aren’t able to see her every day.

If we are being honest, we have all been through the stage where we didn’t think our moms were the coolest. I wish that I could go back and slap my thirteen-year-old self in the face, because really she probably could have helped me through some awkward time. Although it is an amazing feeling being independent, I truly do miss coming home to my mom every day.

2. You realize how expensive you are.

I don’t think you ever get a good idea of how much the world costs until you are on your own. Thinking about how supportive my mom was of everything and how she let me follow every one of my dreams is a beautiful thought especially since all I see are giant dollar signs now! After she spent a countless amount of money on me, she never complained as long as I was happy!

3. Dinner isn’t magically on the table when you get home.

It’s the craziest thing, but when you are in the real world there isn’t someone to make you a delicious dinner multiple times a day! I know, it’s shocking, but college definitely does make you appreciate the times where Top Ramen wasn’t considered “home cooked.”

4. She supports your every decision.

I’m not the best decision maker, so being in college I’ve gone a lot of different directions, where fortunately I was finally able to end up where I am now. With every split of the second decision, my mom has supported me with all of it. I am definitely where I am now because of the support of my mom, and she continually reminds me every day that it will all work out in the end and to enjoy life instead of worrying all of the time!

5. With every trial, she has always been there.

No matter what, I can always count on my mom to be there when I am having a difficult time. Even if it’s something as simple as an off day, she is always there to talk me through it. Some of my hardest times have been during college, and she is truly the only person who has been there for me through every step.

At the end of the day, no matter what, your mom will always be your best friend; sometimes it just takes getting out in the real world to realize it. I love you mom!   

Brandi Lyn Johnson20 years old... but a child at heart. Pre-Nursing Major and working at Primary Children's Hospital.Changing the world one Netflix Series at a time.I think dogs are better than humans.I don't like the dark.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor