This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We often spend way too much time and money buying complex beauty products that never end up working as well as they claim. And most the time, we don’t know exactly what chemicals and toxins we are applying to our bodies that can be harmful to us over time. Here are five natural, healthy, and successful remedies from women around the world!

1.  Whole Milk (France)

Want to know how to get that smooth, luscious glowing skin like many French women have? The key to this is adding 2-3 cups of whole milk to your relaxing, evening bath.  You can also add some honey for a soothing affect.  

2.  Garlic  (Dominican Republic)

For strong, healthy nails, women in the Dominican Republic use a special garlic remedy. The trick is to finely chop garlic and let it sit in a bottle of clear nail polish for about 7 to 10 days. And don’t worry…the strong garlic scent will go away!

3.    Olive Oil & Yogurt (Italy)

For silky locks that many Italian women have, a special homemade conditioner combining yogurt and olive oil will work to nourish your hair. The protein from the yogurt, combined with the olive oil will help to repair damaged ends. This treatment can be made by combining 1 cup of plain whole-milk yogurt with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.

4.    Cranberry Juice (Spain)

To bring out those natural, subtle highlights, Spanish women rinse their hair with cranberry juice. Mix ¼ cup pure juice (no cocktail mix) with ¼ cup water followed with a rinse in the shower. This could save an expensive trip to the salon for a natural sun kissed look!

5.     Salt (Israel)

In Israel, they believe in the power of healing with salt, as salt rids your body of toxins. Have you ever noticed your skin clear up after a nice vacation at the beach? A nice detoxifying scrub can be made at home by combining ¼ cup of sea salt, 1 pinch seaweed powder, ½ cup massage oil, and 10-15 drops of lavender oil. This is not only ridding your body of toxins, but also works great at relieving stress, headaches, and even hangovers!

Kayla Van Hoose 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor