This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Anime is a style of Japanese animation that is growing in popularity worldwide. There are so many unfair stigmas about anime that cause many people, including myself, to avoid it. I am a new anime fan, and I’ve quickly been sucked into loving the stories, animation, worlds, and characters. If you have been on the fence about anime, take this as a sign to give it a shot! These are my top five recommendations for anyone who needs a show to binge.

Haikyu!!

After watching the famed “Tiny Giant” at a national volleyball tournament, short middle schooler Hinata Shoyo discovers his love for the sport and tries his best to play, despite the obstacles in his path. His first game is against Kageyama Tobio, known as the “King of the Court,” and the two immediately butt heads. Little do they know, they have both chosen to play for Karasuno High School and must work together to bring the school’s once renowned volleyball team to Nationals.

With a great cast of characters and an emphasis on teamwork and reaching for your dreams, Haikyu!! is my favorite anime of all time and has easily made its way to the top of the list.

Given

A chance encounter at school brings Mafuyu Satou and Ritsuka Uenoyama together over their mutual interest in the guitar. Despite carrying one around everywhere, Mafuyu has never played the instrument. Uenoyama decides to teach him how to play so that he can be the lead singer for his band. However, Mafuyu’s past trauma renders him unable to find the words to express himself. As a new love begins to bloom between the two, one song will reveal everything.

This heart-wrenching romance tells a story of learning to move on from the past and forgiving yourself.

My Hero Academia

In a world where heroes exist and everyone is born with a special power, Izuku Midorya discovers that he is Quirkless and unable to become a hero. A fateful meeting with the Number 1 Hero gives him the chance he always dreamed of. This anime follows Izuku and his new friends through their time at UA High School, which specializes in training children to be top tier heroes.

This extremely popular anime has action, adventure, and heart and is an essential anime to add to your watchlist.

Fruits Basket

Newly orphaned, Tohru Honda starts a new chapter living with the Soma family. What she doesn’t know is that twelve members of the Soma family are cursed with the animal spirits of the Chinese zodiac. They turn into their animal forms when they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex, but there may be something bigger lurking. Tohru yearns to find a way to break the curse and save the family she has grown to love.

This anime is the perfect mix of humor and deep conversations about love, friendship, and the future. 

Bungo Stray Dogs

After being kicked out of his orphanage, Nakajima Atsushi attempts to rob a passerby in a desperate attempt to survive. However, this man is actually a member of the Armed Detective Agency, which might just be the perfect place for Atsushi. 

Every character in this anime is based off a famous author of the past, with the twist that their most famous books grant them a superpower of sorts. There are so many interesting Easter eggs to look out for in this series, as well as a found-family scenario that always warms the heart.

Mo Dao Zu Shi

Thirteen years after his death, Wei Wuxian is summoned back to life to solve the mystery that had a hand in his death. However, his villainous reputation means that he has to hide his identity from anyone that could have known his past self. Reuniting with his childhood friend Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian has to juggle disguising himself, facing his harrowing past, and trying to build a new future. 

Though this is technically not an anime, the story is so good that I had to mention it on this list. There is love, humor, tragedy, betrayal, and everything else you could ask for from a show.

Whether you are brand-new to anime or just trying to pick up some recommendations, this list is sure to include something for you! 

Kristin is a member of the Honors College and is majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Disability Studies. She participates in three research labs at the U and is an Honors Peer Mentor. Kristin also interns at Well-Being Elevated. She has a passion for doing makeup, writing, and working with kids.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor