This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Do you have a longing to escape reality? I know I do constantly. Between school and work, it is hard to fit my social life in. But, the fantasy genre is always here to save the day! In worlds full of made up creatures and places, it’s a great way to travel without actually moving. Sadly, I have not read a proper fantasy book in months, but with those with time on their hands and a temptation of jumping into a foreign land where Elvish is spoken, and wars are raging between ice queens and lions, here are a few starters to get your mind reeling.

1. A Song of Fire and Ice

I never thought about picking up these books until I watched the show, Game of Thrones, which is actually the title of the first book in the ongoing series. Each book is lengthy, but it is a brilliant work of art. It leaves you dangling for the next piece. George R.R Martin’s characters are well developed and you can get into the nitty gritty thoughts of each figure.

2. The Lord of the Rings

Considered a “classic” in the fantasy genre, The Lord of the Rings, is a masterpiece. It took me a few tries to actually read it, because it is quite slow in the beginning. It was a sequel to The Hobbit, but quickly developed into a much bigger piece. If you like fast-paced novels, this might not be the one for you. If you sit down, with time of your hands and a mind that is willing to dive into a magical world, this series will be very enjoyable.

3. Harry Potter

What more can be said about this fantastic series? I have every book on my bookshelf, my favorite in both hardcover and paperback (Yes, I am that extra). Although it is geared more towards to young adults and children, I believe there is no age limit to be able to enjoy J.K. Rowling’s most celebrated books. This is what got me into the fantasy genre. Harry Potter is exquisitely beautiful. Each written word takes you into a world you wish you could never leave.

4. The Chronicles of Narnia

C.S. Lewis’s seven book, “children” series bring the readers into the magical world of Narnia. I have only read three of the seven books, but I already know that they do not disappoint. The first book, “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe,” tells of four siblings that travel to the countryside to escape World War II. They discover a wardrobe that leads them to the world of Narnia where great magical adventures follow.

5. The Mists of Avalon

I had read, The Priestess of Avalon, before I discovered these series. The Mists of Avalon, revolve around the women in the time of King Arthur. It is more like a historical fantasy with symbolism and historical figures weaved into it. Dealing with each character had a lot of frustrations, but that is also what made the book so good. Marion Zimmer Bradley painted an in-depth, vivid picture with strong feminist characters. (Let’s not ignore the fact that Bradley was a child molester and abuser, even though she could write such good stories).

The fantasy genre is definitely one to roam. Don’t stall, grab one of the books and go to another time, where dragons, wizards, and basilisks exist, oh my.

Source: 1, 2, 3

A girl studying Journalism at the University of Utah. When she is not writing, Nina enjoys novels, her cute dog, dancing in the air and buying excessive amounts of skincare that she doesn't need. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor