Bgb Editor\'S Letter Hero Image
Bgb Editor\'S Letter Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

5 “Clean” Beauty Products to Buy Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

My “clean” beauty journey began about a year ago when I discovered the app “Think Dirty.” This app can scan any product and list all of its ingredients plus tell you whether the ingredients are healthy or not. It can also describe the environmental impact that the product has. I was not aware of how harmful many of the products that I used were to my health and the environment until I downloaded the app. I have since become a clean beauty enthusiast, and I think you should be too! Many beauty brands are slowly shifting their focus to more sustainable and clean products because consumers want radical transparency about the impacts of these products. If you are trying to be more conscious of what’s “clean,” this guide is for you.

1. The Best Little Mascara Ever, $12

This mascara lives up to its name. According to the brand’s website, this little mascara consists of over “90% natural ingredients” and is 100% vegan and cruelty-free. The ingredients include plant-based squalene, candelilla wax, and palm oil. Now, I may be biased because I own this product, but I have never come across a mascara that works so well for such an inexpensive price! The mascara’s clean formula combined with its curved wand is a recipe for sexy, luscious lashes.

2. INnersense Quiet Calm Curl Control, $9-$70

https://innersensebeauty.com/product/quiet-calm/

Where are all my curly-haired people at? This product is one of my all-time favorites! I had struggled to find good hair products for my curly hair all of my life until I found the brand Innersense. Innersense Organic Beauty is a hair-care brand that has been committed to sustainability and clean beauty since it opened back in 2005. It is now one of the world’s leading clean beauty brands and has recently become Certified Carbon Neutral. I am a fan of all of their products, but if I had to choose one that I couldn’t live without, it would be the one I linked above! This styling lotion keeps curls hydrated and defined while also eliminating frizz. Some of its key ingredients include shea butter, orange flower oil, and rice bran oil.

3. Grown Alchemist Gentle gel Facial Cleanser, $39

https://www.grownalchemist.com/us/skincare/cleansers/gentle-gel-facial-cleanser.html

This highly-praised facial cleanser combines various plant-based extracts to create a formula that cleanses and soothes the skin without stripping it of its natural oils. The botanical extracts include geranium leaf, bergamot, and rosebud. Although it is a bit pricey, the quality of the product makes it all worth it. According to Grown Alchemist’s website, its founders have used their ground-breaking scientific research on cellular renewal and nutrient metabolization to revolutionize skincare.

4. Native Strengthening Shampoo, $9

https://www.target.com/p/native-vegan-strengthening-shampoo

This vegan strengthening shampoo by Native is cheap, effective, and accessible for the average buyer. This shampoo only has 10 ingredients, all of which are vegan, paraben-free, sulfate-free, and contain no phthalates. The formula for this shampoo strengthens hair against breakage and is infused with rich natural fragrances. I promise, if you make the switch today you will not regret it.

5. W3ll People Bio stick foundation, $25

https://www.w3llpeople.com/bio-stick-foundation/140030G.html

This creamy foundation stick creates a natural, long-lasting finish that will leave your skin glowing. It is plant-powered with ingredients like castor seed oil, safflower seed oil, and vitamin E. This product has been developed by professional dermatologists and is certified vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free. Unlike many other beauty brands, W3ll People has created a foundation inclusive of every skin tone with shades ranging from “pale ivory” to “dark cocoa.” You will not be disappointed by the stunning skin you will have with this product!

Clean beauty enthusiast yet?

Now that I’ve converted you all to the clean beauty movement, do yourself a favor and throw out any of your old beauty products that are made from yucky ingredients. You don’t need that crap, especially since we know it can cause you and the environment irreparable harm. Instead, choose to put yourself first by prioritizing products that can help you become your best self! Good luck on your clean beauty journey!

Gabriela Merida is double majoring in Political Science and Ethnic Studies at the University of Utah. In her free time, she enjoys reading good books, thrifting, and going on outdoor adventures with friends.