This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There are a lot of factors that can determine financial wellness and budgeting, planning and saving are just a few ways to get started. 

Budget

For many people, budgeting likely exists on a to-do list. It’s simultaneously one of the easiest things to do to help boost finances, yet at the same time can be a challenging feat to stick to. If you’ve never tried budgeting, it may be worth a shot as setting goals and spending limits will convey your progress over time. There are tons of ways to organize your budget. Consider making a list or a spreadsheet of weekly/monthly expenses in order of how you prioritize them. As a suggestion, place emphasis on recurring larger expenses (i.e. bill pay, insurance and payments) and subtract to determine if there’s room in your new monthly budget for excess spending and fun expenses. Though it’s not easy, budgeting is worth it, and a determining factor in maintaining a stable income.

Build Up Savings 

Building your savings is easier said than done, especially during your twenties while being a college student, new to starting a job, being in debt or living paycheck to paycheck. A key to increasing savings is recognizing the benefits of personal financial progress and growth and capitalizing on this to maximize income. Keep track of your financial gains and strive to make concrete decisions about how much of it can practically be allocated to a savings account. Savings ensure a safety net and sense of security for potential emergency funds, investment endeavors and general financial stability. Start small and consider reserving even 1% of your paycheck towards savings and set goals to increase the amount over time in proportion with your income. In time, being more mindful about building your savings can really pay off.

Find Resources 

There are a lot of free services and readily available information out there that details financial advice. It’s simply a fact of life that entering adulthood has many financial implications including paying taxes, potentially accumulating debt, developing a credit score and more. It’s important to gain an understanding of the ins and outs of all of these processes and to find resources that can connect you with the best possible services and pertinent information.

Plan For The Future 

Planning for the future depends on a foundation of budgeting, increasing savings and getting informed as discussed prior. Generally speaking, most people want to achieve financial wellness and stability in order to accumulate enough wealth to reduce financial worry and to enjoy retirement. There are a lot of factors that can make or break having financial stability in the future. Aside from personal savings accounts and investments, two common strategies that are meant for retirement are 401(k)s and Roth IRA accounts. 401(k)s are typically employer-backed and are meant to allocate a certain percentage of earnings towards retirement. Roth IRAs are along the same lines but the major difference is that Roth accounts are generally exempt from taxation so long as all protocols are followed— leading to a greater financial return later on. These are just a couple of primary examples of impactful ways to save and to ensure a financially stable future.

One of the biggest things you can do is invest in yourself, and setting goals and intentions towards overall financial stability and wellness is one of the best investments you can make.

Major: Psychology / Minor: Human Development & Family Studies Aspiring therapist and eventual clinical psychologist Quick facts: I'm originally from Colorado and am a fitness enthusiast, ecofeminist, I love the arts and enjoy cooking.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor