4 Small Ways to Boost Your Self-Esteem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Let’s be honest, it’s not always easy to feel great about yourself but it is so important. Loving and accepting who you are is the biggest step you can take to being really and truly happy. However, in the age of technology, we are constantly bombarded with images and standards that try to sort us into neat little boxes and make us feel like we aren’t doing a good enough job of being ourselves. So here are four easy ways to give your self-esteem a jump-start:

1. Limit time spent on social media

I know it sounds horrible and simply not possible because there are always new Snap stories and the comments on Facebook are just starting to get juicy but it’s just not healthy. Constantly comparing yourself to the seemingly perfect lives of your online friends can only do you harm. Studies have shown a high correlation between social media use and depression. So even if you close Instagram or Twitter, try to remember that everyone’s life looks better through the online filter. We only see what other people want us to see. Nobody is perfect.

2) Splurge on a new mascara

Of all your makeup products, mascara is the one that really seals your look. You can’t put on makeup without mascara. It’s the cherry on top of your beautiful Mac sundae. And we all know the feeling of swiping on old mascara that’s long past it’s expiration date- but who really throws away mascara after three months if it’s still half-full? Old wands clump more easily and the liquid is partially dried and tacky and it’s all kind of a hot mess. Gross, right? Anyway, now think about the last time you put on brand new mascara for the first time. It glides over your lashes and stays smooth and clump-free all day. So bat those lashes and know you look and feel fabulous!

3) Learn to accept compliments

When someone gives you a genuine compliment, it’s way too easy to brush them off or simply deny what they’ve just complimented. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes accepting a compliment can feel awkward or self-centered but learning to graciously accept that someone thinks your hair is on point today will make it easier to feel good about yourself. Just smile and say “Thanks!” It’s that easy.

4) Surround yourself with positive people

We’ve all laughed at comedians and their self-degrading jokes. Let’s be honest, if you can’t laugh at yourself, what kind of sense of humor do you really have? But all things in moderation. A group of friends who are constantly making negative comments towards themselves, you, or just the world in general are not going to help your self-esteem at all. On the flipside, an optimistic group of friends can do wonders for your mental health and self-acceptance.

Self-esteem is such an important aspect of our lives but it often gets swept under the rug. Even implementing just a few of these tips could make a huge difference in how you see yourself.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor