4 Easy Ways to Sweeten Up Your Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Whether you have special plans with that special someone on Valentines day, or plan on seeing 50 Shades Darker and stuffing your face with all things heart shaped and fattening, there’s no judgment here. What many people don’t realize is that there are so many easier, and cheaper ways to avoid the overpriced, traditional method of treating yourself on a day that could be devoted to loving someone else, or maybe just yourself.

One of my favorite ways to celebrate is to make Chocolate covered strawberries. A popular option is often to order Shari’s Berries, which consists of a small box of beautifully presented strawberries that are covered in chocolate. Sure, it is nice to not have to do manual labor, but a box of half a dozen strawberries starts at $24.99, which may be a little unfriendly to the bank account. To make Chocolate Covered strawberries, all you have to do is buy a container of strawberries, wash and dry them, melt your choice of chocolate with a little bit of oil and proceed to dip and decorate them, totaling up to cost about $10-15 to make nearly a dozen. The best part is that, they are not only given, or eaten with love, but are made with love as well.

Another, more cost-effective way to get your sweet fix on Valentines Day would be to try one of Starbucks limited edition drinks that include coffee AND chocolate and takes you way past the regular mocha. The Molten Chocolate Latte, Molten Chocolate Frappuccino, and the Molten Hot Chocolate will only be available through February 14th, so give them a try while you still can, and get that stellar coffee and chocolate buzz to get you through any day.

In the mood for breakfast in bed on a Tuesday? Its okay, it’s Valentines day which calls for easy and fail-proof heart shaped cinnamon rolls! All you have to do is buy a tube of the sinfully delicious tubes of cinnamon roll dough from the grocery store, shape them into hearts, bake, and enjoy! My mom did it a few years ago for my siblings and I on Valentines Day and, honestly, it’s the little things in life that will get you. It’s hard not to appreciate that little extra bit of effort.

Although you would never think it is possible to replace what a chocolate box gives you, is it ever true that you like each piece? At least I never do, unless they are all the same flavor, and the truffles are my favorite. Getting, giving, or even just eating truffles on Valentines Day have a special effect so why not have Homemade Truffles to make them extra special. There are Tons of variations possible including, Oreo, cheesecake, Nutella, cake, or even salted almond fudge… Pinterest has it ALL. https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=truffles&rs=typed&term_meta[]=truffles%7Ctyped

Doing Valentines Day just for you, or that special someone is still possible if you’re on a budget, have time constraints, or just want to do something small. The pressures and influences of the media and retail world can take the enjoyment out of such a sweet holiday, but why not take some time to treat yourself or someone else and while not breaking the bank, or being rushed or feeling pressured?   

Notorious foodie and optimist, hoping to cook for a living and experience a vast cultural variety. Business student, Netflix ethusiast, and avid day dreamer, just trying to make it through college and fulfill my potential. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor