3 Humanitarian Crises You Should Be Aware Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Within the past month, the United States has undergone multiple tragedies. We have faced waves of hurricanes on a scale that has not been seen before. We had the largest mass shooting last week in Las Vegas where 58 people were killed and 489 were wounded. Fires and other natural disasters are consuming the states across the country, and the people of Puerto Rico are struggling every day to survive in the wreckage of the multiple storms that hit their island.

While it is important to stand in solidarity for the devastation that has recently ravaged our country, we cannot view the world with a tunnel vision that only focuses on American tragedies. We must support our fellow Americans in their efforts to rebuilt their lives (to do so, visit these articles for places to donate to the hurricane victims, Puerto Rico victims, and Las Vegas victims), but in times like these, we should also reflect on humanitarian crises that are going on, and have been going on, around the world.

Yemen Hunger Crisis

Recently, we have seen the largest humanitarian crisis break out in Yemen. Due to a rebellion against the government, the past two years have wiped away any semblance of normal life in replacement for starvation, disease, and war. Thousands of people have been killed or injured in this crisis, and millions have been displaced and are suffering from starvation and disease. 

According to a BBC article, of a country of 27 million people, 17 million Yemenis are believed to be food insecure while 6.8 million are thought to be severely food insecure. This same article states that 14.4 million people do not have access to clean drinking water. In addition, Yemen is experiencing the worst outbreak of cholera, which is the largest outbreak of the disease in the last 50 years. Despite the desperate situation the people of Yemen are in, the world seems to be ignorant of the urgent needs Yemen requires. 

Syrian Refugee Crisis

While many people know about the Syrian refugees, not much attention is focused on the details of the crisis. About six years ago, Syria descended into civil war, and what started out as innocent protests spread into militant rebel groups determined to overthrow the government. The war between the rebels and the Syrian government has led to about 11 million Syrian refugees displaced from their country.

The Syrian crisis escalated last winter with the fall of Aleppo to the Syrian government. The campaign consisted of bombing and killing Syrian civilians inside the city so the government could take the control of Aleppo from the rebels. While it is still unknown how many died during the massacre, approximately 470,000 people have been killed during the civil war.

Many Syrians have no place to live after taking the dangerous journey to leave war-torn Syrian. European countries and the United States only allow thousands over the borders, leaving the rest of the 11 million to create a life in unsanitary and ill-stocked refugee camps.

South Sudan Hunger Crisis

Six years ago, South Sudan gained its independence after three decades of civil war. Because South Sudan was already underdeveloped when it officially became a country and suffered from many natural disasters, the economy of South Sudan fell rapidly after its establishment. In addition, after independence was won, the ruling political party fell into in-fighting and turmoil. 

This has led to one of the largest humanitarian crises in the world. Approximately 3.6 million Sudanese people have fled their homes, 4.8 million are facing extreme hunger, and thousands have died in the conflict. In fact, earlier this year, it was officially declared that South Sudan is in a state of famine.

Just like Syria, many of these Sudanese people have left their homes to find a safer place to live for the current moment, yet most states cannot accommodate the overflowing demand for refugees.

What To Do

When faced with crises such as Yemen, Syria, and South Sudan (a list which does not include other humanitarian crises inflicting the world today), it is hard to come to terms with how to help the people suffering in these conflict areas.

One thing you can do is to make yourself aware of what is going on in the world around you. Follow international news programs, research articles addressing these issues, and have discussions with other people about the crises. Reading the hyperlinks in this article is a good way to start.

Another really important aspect of humanitarian organizations working on these crises is donations. As college students, it is understandable that money may be tight, but even five dollars can make a difference in a person’s life. That money, no matter how small, can give a family drinking water, a place to stay, or food for the night.

Places to visit to learn more about these issues and DONATE are:

The International Rescue Committee

Mercy Corps

The UN Refugee Agency

British Red Cross

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor