toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Halloween Activities of Varying Degrees of Frightfulness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

What are you going to do for Halloween? If you’re tired of house parties, dance parties, frat parties, and every possible amalgamation of the three and feel like actually getting a little scared, or a little cozy, here is a short list of possible activities for you to engage in while wearing a costume (or not) and keep feeling festive! The list is in order of relative frightfulness, and your spooky holiday may include but is not limited to any of these ideas! Hopefully this list at least gets your own creative, thrill-seeking wheels turning…  And remember, whether you’re turnt up or turnt down, fear-inducing or…not, stay safe and keep classy this All Hallows Eve.

Not So Scary

Go to a pumpkin patch/ apple orchard and experience a true harvest of fun.

Go during the day and end the evening in your own home painting or carving your pumpkins, making the delicious apple crisp listed below (So easy even I made it- TWICE!), and answering the door to cute trick-or-treaters (unless you live in the dorm. In that case, go to someone else’s home that is in an actual neighborhood that might contain children)!

Scary

Go to a scary movie.

There are quite a few scary options in theatre right now, like Ouija, Annabelle, Dracula Untold, and Before I Go To Sleep. I propose this as opposed to staying in and watching a movie because the nature of “going out” to a movie lends itself, in my opinion, more easily as an excuse to dress up, and you and your party are more likely to all be seeing it for the first time together, which is more fun. I don’t personally like scary movies and I have not seen any of the above listed.  I will tell you though, that on Monday when I did skeleton make up on myself at work,  a woman literally jumped in fear when I approached her because she said my make up reminded her of the movie Ouija. So I’ll just leave that there with a picture of my make up.

Freaking Scary:

Go to a really frightening haunted house.

I’ve never been to the Fear Factory, but every year I hear about it. It seems everyone around me is always talking about this place, but despite all the rumors I have yet to meet someone who has attended this haunted house and lived to tell the tale. Please, somebody go and tell me if it meets the expectations that the label “creep factor: extreme” entails.

Mietra Aarabi is an introvert disguised as an extrovert that is majoring in Art with a Painting and Drawing emphasis. She was one of the founding member's of the Alpha Phi chapter at the U in 2011 and is a co-editor in chief of Utah's Her Campus chapter with Ellie Briggs. She's an aspiring makeup artist as well as a mediocre yogi, occasional writer and hopefully, maybe, one-day a Creative Director and/or Designer (#goals) with way too many clothes and a serious lack of time and closet space. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter as @mietraaarabi! http://instagram.com/mietraaarabi
Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!