21 and Lost: The Musings of A Not-Quite-Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Thirty, Flirty, and Thriving? What about 21, broke, lost, and stressed the hell out? I feel that my second option is a lot more realistic. But that’s just me. Let’s be real, being in your 20s has to be the most confusing time in our lives. Everyone around me is either getting married, traveling all over the country (but like, how? Because I have $5 to my name), going to school, having babies, just in general growing up. I know this is all apart of life, growing up and moving on, but it’s hard not to compare my path to others when you are lost and trying to figure things out. If only there was a closet I could sit in with magic dust that came falling down upon my head and magically fast-forwarded me to the part in my life where I have everything together like Jennifer Garner.

Something that I have learned in my 21 years of life is when we are teenagers we think we know everything, that we have everything figured out and put together, that our parents have no idea what they are talking about and we are in the right. But now that I am in my 20s I’ve realized I DON’T know everything, I don’t have everything figured out, I call my mom 6 times a day to ask her questions about how to handle money, doctors appointments, what I’ allergic to, and above all I’m trying to find out who I am. Your 20s are an age where we are adults to society but still kids on the inside just trying to figure it all out. This is the age where we have dreams and aspirations that burn inside of us hotter than ever because everything we do now is a reflection to our future selves. I’m at this age where I don’t know if I should be moved into a house of my own, starting a family, or if it’s okay that I still live with my mom while going to school full time and eating my special K cereal at one in the morning.

I feel as if I need to have everything in my life figured out this very minute and in my head, I know that this is ridiculous, but I can’t help but feel the pressure. It’s like I have to slow down and take a minute to breathe everything in that’s changing in my life as I grow. Something that I have learned in this crazy age is that we need to stop worrying about what everyone else around us is doing and focus on what we are doing. What do I want? What do I need? Oddly enough, this a time for us to be sort of selfish and do whatever the hell it is we want to do with ourselves. Being in your 20s is something that I can’t even explain, I’m old enough to walk into a bar and sit and drink, but I’m young enough that I have to ask my sweet mom for gas money sometimes. The pressure for us to have everything figured out at this age is unrealistic, being young is fun but growing up is hard.

Whenever you feel as if you are surrounded by the anxiety of having everything done right now, just remember that there is a path for all of us. For some, the benefits in life come early and for others, they come later down the road. I truly don’t think there is any “right” way to live this life that we are in, it’s more about what YOU think is the right way to live your own life. How do you want to spend the time that you have here?

I am attending the University of Utah and double majoring in Psychology and Communications! You can find me in the mountains or catch me at any local coffee shop typing vigorously on my laptop.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor