2000s slang?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
2000s slang?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Sony / Paramount

30 Words & Phrases From The Early 2000s We Should Bring Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The 2000s had a lot of things that we probably want to forget, from low riding, weirdly cut jeans, to hair feathers, the twee aesthetic and pearlcore galore (okay, those last two weren’t so bad), that we sometimes close our eyes and wish the beginning of the decade had never happened. However, there’s a lot of relatively cool early 2000s slang that’s actually held up. We’re not saying you should go around using words like “biotch” on the regular, but many of these once-popular phrases  could still be used today… if you really wanted to. 

The most popular early 2000s slang

Bling

Meaning: Basically, shiny stuff on clothing — this could go anywhere from bejeweling, to jewelry in general! Bling is a simple way of saying that someone has an extensive amount of sparkle on their outfit.

Crunk

Meaning: Essentially synonymous to having a good time (See: “Let’s get crunk!”), which could mean anything between sober fun, or not sober fun.

That’s hot

Meaning: Usually used sarcastically, “that’s hot” is used as a satirical juxtaposition to someone doing something that absolutely isn’t hot.

Trashed

Meaning: Synonymous to “Crunk,” except definitely not sober.

Word

Meaning: “Word” indicates that something is either understood or appreciated. It could be used similarly to “okay,” or to “awesome,” depending on context.

Biotch

Meaning: A quirky take on b*tch. You might have seen this used in 13 Going On 30, one of the quintessential 2000s films.

Owned

Meaning: Something people would say when they felt like they accomplished something over someone else, especially winning a game. Ex. “Yeah, dude I owned you at Mariokart!”

You got served

Meaning: Similar to “Owned”, but you basically say “served” instead. It’s like you serve them their own busted ego on a tarnished silver platter.

Baller

Meaning: Similar to “awesome,” “baller” was a way to describe things being cool and/or exciting in the early-mid 2000s.

Stoked

Meaning: Essentially a more relaxed version of being “ecstatic.” Being ecstatic about your birthday, for example, is different from being stoked about not having Geology homework.

Peace out

Meaning: A fun substitute for “goodbye.” Extra points if you make a peace sign with your hand as you say it.

Bounce

Meaning: A substitute for “leaving” a place or a situation. Ex. “Let’s bounce” rather than “Let’s blow this popsicle stand.”

Dawg

Meaning: A way to describe another person that you felt pleasantly towards. Ex. “What’s up, dawg?

Poppin’

Meaning: Cool. See “Lip Gloss” by Lil Mama.

Waz crackin’

Meaning: An opening statement to conversation, such as, “How are you doing?” except so very much worse.

Sucky

Meaning: A sort of grotesque reaction to something that is bad at a relatively mediocre level.

Homeskillet

Meaning: Another friendly term for another person. Ex. “Wassup, homeskillet?” Synonymous with “Homeslice.”

Mega

Meaning: Similar to “cool,” “mega” is a way to describe something radical or awesome.

Chillax

Meaning: To both “chill” and “relax” at the same time. It’s redundant because the two words have extremely similar connotations, but still extremely fun to say.

Booyah

Meaning: An exclamation of excitement, this term could be compared to “Holla” or “Eureka.” It should live on in infamy.

Fetch

Meaning: Very cool or fashionable, first popularized by Mean Girls. Yes, we are trying to make it happen.

‘Rents

Meaning: A shorter and cuter way to say “parents.” Try this one if you’re close with your family and see how they react.

Newbie

Meaning: Someone who’s, well, new at doing something, and maybe a bit naive. See also: “Noob.”

Peeps

Meaning: Short for “people,” your peeps are your ride-or-dies. Peeps walked so “besties” could run.

Sweet

Meaning: Not just a taste descriptor! “Sweet” is yet another way to exclaim happiness, especially when you just got good news. Ex. “I just found $20 on the ground! Sweet!”

Fo shizzle

Meaning: “For sure.” (Thank you, Snoop Dogg.) Maybe we don’t need this one in our regular lexicon, but hey, you know you want to use it ironically sometimes.

Take a chill pill

Meaning: Oh my god, relax! Often used in a passive-aggressive sense, it’s meant to sarcastically calm down someone who’s stressing you out with their nervous or angry energy.

Talk to the hand

Meaning: Usually accompanied by flipping your hand out at someone, this is a more clever way to say that you’re over the conversation and won’t be dealing with it any longer. Period.

Sketchy

Meaning: Not trustworthy. Your crush only texts you back at 3 a.m.? That’s sketchy.

Holla

Meaning: Holler. This can be used on its own as a way to signal your excitement about something (see also: Booyah), but “holla at me” means you want someone to give you a call. I know, almost none of us talk on the phone instead of texting these days, but I bet you miss Gwen Stefani’s “Hollaback Girl.”