Wellness > Sex + Relationships

14 Soothing Albums to Help During a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

One of the cardinal sins of a breakup is falling into the black hole of sad music. But through the various stages of seemingly endless tears, chest pain, and “what if’s” that follow heartbreak, rap, rock and pop playlists are usually off the table.

Remembering that there are people all over the world feeling the way you do in this moment can be a big help. These musicians have all gone through something similar to you, and their art marks the stark difference between sad and soothing. Comforting music is vital, and can be a remedy to help boost you up. Hopefully these albums help. They’re interlaced with soft beats, artful lyrics, and smooth melodies.

1. For Emma, Forever Ago — Bon Iver

2. Hozier — Hozier

3. Archive Series Volume No. 1 — Iron & Wine

4. Carrie & Lowell — Sufjan Stevens

5. Honeymoon — Lana Del Rey

6. Depression Cherry — Beach House

7. The First Days of Spring — Noah and the Whale

8. Currents — Tame Impala

9. Life After Defo — Deptford Goth

10. Pure Heroine — Lorde

11. Coming Home — Leon Bridges

12. Trouble — Ray LaMontagne

13. Ultraviolence — Lana Del Rey

14. Beauty Behind the Madness — The Weeknd

According to a Science of People article, music is much more than a distraction, but has real physical and emotional benefits. Because music affects your autonomic nerve system (read: brain, blood, and heart) the physical reaction your body has is usually barely noticeable. But a study from Austria’s General Hospital of Salzburg has shown that slow music actually lowers blood pressure, evens breath, and relaxes muscles.

The mental and emotional benefit of music probably doesn’t have to be explained, as we’ve all had a visceral reaction to a song or album. However, a study available on the National Center for Biotechnology Information concluded that “Music resulted in a faster autonomic recovery after stress.” Autonomic is again referring to the systems in your body that you don’t necessarily notice working. All in all, if your heart and you have experienced stress and strain, one of the best remedies available is some calming, easy listening music.  

So draw yourself a bath, light some candles, grab your favorite book, eat your favorite food, and vibe out to some lovely tunes. Your job now is to take the love and care you had for someone else and give it all to yourself.

Photo Sources: Cover, 1

Hi I'm Britt, I'm 23 and graduating after the Fall 2020 semester with a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communications and two minors in Spanish and Creative Writing.  I love to dive into topics under beauty, fashion, music, art, and culture. I enjoy going a little deeper and finding information that I think readers will learn from or want to learn more about.   A couple of my favorite things are shopping (especially local!), writing, and watching movies with tons of popcorn.