13 Signs You’ve Converted to Salt Lake City-ism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you moved here from out of state, and decided the economy isn’t the only thing too good to pass up, you may have found you’ve converted to this happy state. Here are 13 signs you are basically a native.

1. You’ve dyed your hair green, and gotten a tattoo.

People in Salt Lake City strive to be the most unique. Everybody wants to stand out. You might feel less different when you go on vacation… bad news is, having a tattoo doesn’t make you that unique.

2. You either became a Mormon, or you hate Mormons

Salt Lake City hasn’t quite learned how to live in harmony, yet. If you haven’t hopped on the anti-Mormon bandwagon, you probably thought “If you can’t beat em’, join em’.”

3. You daydream about Oregon

An ultra-liberal hub without the ‘ridiculous’ alcohol laws, along with the gorgeous scenery you miss during the cold months – sounds like Heaven to SLC converts… yet, they never move out of the Beehive State.

4. You bike

I hate you… but I respect you.

5. You’ve hiked the Living Room, Donut Falls and Cottonwood Heights

…and taken a lot of pictures for your Finsta. #SLCLiving #GetOutside

6. The acronym BYU makes your red blood boil

Or, you’re that dummy who prances around wearing blue, ignorant that you may lose your life at any second.

7. You’ve forgotten how to drive

If you don’t know how to merge anymore, have become really aggressive on the road and honk a lot – it’s not your fault. Blame the SLC natives.

8. You get sick…a lot.

Getting strep throat three times a year here is average. I wonder what it could be… surely not the air quality…

9. You know which way is east

“The mountains are east!” they say, “The mountains are everywhere!” I say back.

10. You care more about your appearance than you ever did

*Gasps* someone is at the grocery store in their slippers… at the grocery store! In their slippers! According to Total Beauty, SLC is number six on the list of states with the most plastic surgery. Author’s note: If you comment on a FB page advertising for $6,500 boob jobs, to instead donate vanity money to women with breast cancer or women who can’t feed themselves or buy menstrual products, Club Image will delete your comment, then block you from further commenting on their ad (speaking from experience). 

11. You have become echo-friendly and environmentally aware

Could it be the pollution? The inversion? I don’t care what it is! Keep recycling!

12. You now understand that being polite is just a given

In public you say “excuse me” and “hello,” nodding your head at strangers with a smile. It’s really nice, actually.

13. You have a strong opinion about the homeless population

Passionate about saving them, or passionate about disliking them. There is no in-between.

When it all comes down to it, the mountains are majestic and you get everything you want out of the seasons here. If you have converted to SLC – embrace all this state has to offer!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor