The 13 Holy Grail Words of Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Have you ever walked into a cosmetic store and felt completely overwhelmed? You aren’t alone. As a makeup artist, I work with a range of beginners to trendy beauty lovers. Colligates, you will not only now be looking you’re best, but also sounding like it too with these 13 Holy Grail words of makeup.

Complexion techniques

Baking– to take your contouring to a further level you can use this technique after applying your foundation and concealer. Using a damp sponge or Beauty Blender heavily place powder over the places you want to appear brighter. After 10 minutes blend in the excess product. The heat from the skin on your face warms up the products leaving a brighter finish.

Highlighting- adding light to your face with either a shimmering powder or a matte color that is lighter than your skin tone to ascend your features. Imagine a beam of light pulling your bone structure upwards to place the product properly.

Strobbing– using only highlighting product(s) to an excessive amount

Contouring– In 2014 contouring became very popular after the famous Kim Kardashian reset the trend. This technique is used to make the face appear thinner and dramatize features. You should use a cool toned gray/brown color to contour your face in either a contour kit, eye shadow, concealer or if the right color, bronzer.

On Sephora.com you are able to find the pocket contour, which will assist you in tutorials simply in a smartphone app.

Foundation– a specific product that should be closest to your natural skin tone in either a liquid or powder form. Avoid using words like base and powder when describing that this is the product you need. Use resources at Sephora to get the perfect match in color, coverage and meeting the needs of your skin condition. When you look washed out that means you found the correct color since you are covering your natural flush.

Primer- a product you place after your moisturizer but before your foundation. This will act as a double-sided sticky tape as it protects your face while leaving a better surface for makeup to sit on. You can address any major skin concerns with a primer to make your beauty routine just as unique as you!

Brush techniques

Stippling– this is a very important technique for concealing a blemish or smoothing out textured skin. With a dense wide surfaced brush you will use a bouncing motion to work the product into the skin instead of sliding the product from one place to another to achieved a flawless finish.

Bronzing – This is only to be used lightly where the sun would hit you naturally to add a glow to your complexion. Bronzing should not cover the entire face or in the areas where you contour.

Finishes-

Finish– the effects a foundation, lip product and eye product will have. The subtlest finish for you is dependent on your skin type. (Check out “The Skin Routine you Need Now” article to determine your skin type)

Matte– No light will give off of the product

Demi Matte– The most natural look, some light will reflect but you will not look shiny.

Satin– this is a moisturized or dewy glowing look

Gloss– the shiniest lip products, and could also be an extreme dewy complexion or mirror eye shadow look.

There you have it colligates 13 words to add to your beauty vocabulary! Now you are the beauty expert! 

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor