11 Restaurants on 13th East That Will Satisfy Any Craving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The University of Utah is an amazing campus for more reasons than one; it is beautiful with incredible views of the mountains and overlooking the Great Salt Lake, it’s located only forty-five minutes away from ski resorts and has some delicious restaurants.  Lucky for us, there are many right next to the University of Utah of varying types, prices and distance away from the U.  Here are 11 options along 13th East, with something for everyone, 1300 east is the place to eat!

1. Aristos

This Greek restaurant is one of the nicest and most unique of the group. The diverse menu offers everything from the classic gyros to a Greek style garlic burger.  Prices here are fair for the type of restaurant but probably fall under expensive for your average college student with a meal (including drink) costing about $15. 

2.  Porcupine Grill

Porcupine is another local restaurant very close to the U. The original location is at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, but students were ecstatic when they finally opened another one that was within walking distance! They serve American style food and while it’s another restaurant that falls more on the expensive side, it’s a crowd favorite with a bar complete with west coast inspired drinks such as the Cactus Cooler! 

3. Indochine Vietnamese Cuisine

Indochine is a fun, authentic Vietnamese restaurant that has raving reviews! Its most popular item is the fried rice that has claims to be not your usual and a must try.  Prices can range from a $10 meal to a $30 meal so you’ll want to be aware of how much something is when you order it if you’re trying to stick to a collegiette budget. 

4. The Pie Takeout

A staple to the University of Utah, the Pie Takeout is there for you when you don’t have time to hang out in the underground location. Known for their friendliness–even at 1 am–and their speediness when making cheese pull-a-parts, this list wouldn’t be complete without the Ute favorite: The Pie. 

5. Seven Eleven

Give me a chance to explain. Seven Eleven can hardly be counted as a restaurant, however, I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten my “dinner.” Whether you’re a hot dog hater or lover- there is bound to be something you can afford. 

6. B & D Burgers

B&D’s burgers has probably the cheapest and best burgers around campus.  They have lots of comfort food and it’s perfect for any time of the day. Grab a shake and make it the perfect hangover meal! 

7. La Frontera

Any food list would not be complete without a Mexican restaurant.  La Frontera is your classic Mexican food restaurant with your standard enchiladas, burritos, and tacos.  After a long night of partying or a tough day at school, it might be just the thing you need. 

8. Einstein Bagels

Bagels are bae and a total lifesaver for those mornings where you need some quick carbs.  There are tons of options and easy to take to class. Despite the crowd, the bagels are worth the wait and worth spending a few extra cents on their thick cream cheese!

9.  The Training Table

The Training Table is a little bit further down the road on 13th East but totally worth the drive.  It is a local Utah restaurant and has a fun element to it because you call in your order via a telephone.  It is a sit down restaurant but very cheap.  The burgers are good, but the best thing is their signature sauce and the cheese fries!

10. Olive Garden

Olive Garden is probably the most common classic first date location.  The unlimited bread sticks and soup or salad make up for the fact that it is chain.  The food is delicious and always hits the spot when craving some pasta.  While it can be a tad more expensive then you’d originally expect, once in a while it is a must!

11. Free Birds

If you aren’t feeling a classic Mexican restaurant, Free Birds has some great burrito options- particularly the breakfast burrito.  It’s a cheap take out restaurant but also has some seating if you need to take a break from your undeniably busy day. 

If you are anything like me, you are probably hungry by now and planning your lunch breaks for the next week.  Hopefully this list helps you find a variety of restaurants to try out that are still fairly close to home!

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor