Life > Experiences

10 Things You Need for Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

In first grade, Gabe Smith* gave me a Valentine’s Day card with a puppy on the front. In fifth grade, my mom gave me a stuffed animal puppy with a heart bandana around its neck. Freshman year of college, my friends and I all gave each other socks and candy. And that is the extent of Valentine’s Day gifts I have received. And yet, somehow, each year this day rolls around and I start to get excited. No, not for my hot date or bouquet of flowers. For what is, in my opinion, the best way possible to celebrate the day of love: Galentines.

Galentine’s Day celebrates you and your gal pals and the love you have for each other because let’s face it, what kind of love is more pure than the love that runs through your girl gang? I have been an adamant celebrator of Galentine’s Day for several years now, so I consider myself an expert of sorts. With just a week left until the big day, it’s important for you all to be briefed on the Galentine’s Day essentials.

1. Your gals. Okay, this one is kind of obvious, but it’s still important. The first step to a killer Galentine’s Day is to assemble a group of your best friends (and it’s extra fun if you’re all single). Pick a date (normally Galentine’s Day is celebrated on February 13th, but any day around then will work just fine), pick a time and place, hit up Pinterest for cute decoration ideas, and you’re ready to go.

2. Chocolate. This is a staple whether you’re celebrating with your significant other or with your friends, or even just by yourself. Forget your diet for a day, drive yourself down to the store, and buy the biggest box of chocolates you can find. Bonus points if there’s a teddy bear attached. The whole point of Galentine’s Day is to treat yourself!!

3. Wine. I think this goes without saying, but as long as we’re on the theme of treating yourself, we need to pull out all the stops. You can even get cute heart-themed cups or straws (sometimes I drink wine out of a straw ok please don’t judge), and go full throttle into the spirit of the holiday.

4. Snacks. It’s always good to have some finger food that you can all munch on while you’re hanging out. Find cute ways to make Galentine’s-themed snacks, or honestly, just order a pizza. Either way, we can’t be girl bosses on empty stomachs!

5. Good music. Start off the celebration by blasting your favorite music and having a dance party! Or karaoke! There’s nothing better than a good jam sesh with your besties.

6. Movies. Whether it’s a rom com or a thriller or a girl power inspirational film, the best way to end the night is by snuggling up on the couch with everyone. Decide if you’re all in the mood to laugh or cry or all of the above, and go from there.

7. Secret Galentines. My friends and I have been doing this since freshman year of college. It’s like Secret Santa, but for Valentine’s Day! Pick names out of a hat and treat each other to flowers or chocolate or socks or whatever you think is a cute gift. It’s almost more fun to give these gifts out than to get them. So tender, so heartwarming, such grl pwr.

8. Cute deorations. I mentioned this in #1, but it’s so important that it deserves its own point. Go onto Pinterest or even just Google “Galentine’s Day decorations,” and the ideas will come flooding. You could even make this part of your celebration by purchasing all of the materials and sitting down with everyone for some quality crafting time!

9. Disposable camera/Polaroid. If you choose to do it anything like the way my friends and I do, you’ll get all dolled up for each other, which honestly is sometimes half the fun. Between everyone looking *fire* and your cute decorations and snacks, you definitely will want to document. Get some fun Polaroid film, or even just pick up a disposable camera from Walgreens, find a blank wall, maybe hang some banners, and boom, a photobooth! You can’t go wrong with another camera circulating for random candids, too.

10. LOVE! Okay, this one is super cheesy and unnecessary but I mean, come on, the whole point of this holiday, whether you’re celebrating Galentine’s Day or Valentine’s Day, is to spread love. Don’t forget to tell your friends, or your significant other, or your mom, or your dog, that you love them!

*Name has been changed in order to maintain this boy’s anonymity. I really want to be respectful of his privacy guys. I appreciate and love all my fans but please don’t go egg his car it’s just not necessary it was a mutual breakup don’t try to find him on social media he doesn’t deserve any hate.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ellie is a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Ballet and Strategic Communications. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a member of It's On Us. She loves to travel, is a big fan of all things fashion, and has an unhealthy obsession with cute coffee shops. You can find her (and her blog) on Instagram @ellie.bresler