10 Lizzo Lyrics that Will Put You In a Girl Boss Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Recently, I came across a woman who can be described as nothing less than the queen of girl power, girl boss vibes, strong independent women, and the like: Lizzo. She’s taken the music industry by storm with the release of her album, Cuz I Love You, and I, like the rest of the world, am hooked. You may recognize her from her viral twerking-while-playing-the-flute video, but Lizzo is so much more than that. She preaches not only gender equality, but age equality, body positivity, race equality, you name it. Basically, whoever you are, Lizzo’s got your back.  I went through the album and picked out what I think are the best lyrics, lines that immediately will hype you up. Of course, though I would highly recommend listening to the entire album, here’s a summary of sorts:

“Look, so if you fight like a girl, cry like a girl/Do your thing, run the whole damn world”

– “Like a Girl”

“True love ain’t somethin’ you can buy yourself/True love finally happens when you by yourself/So if you by yourself, then go and buy yourself/Another round from the bottle on the higher shelf”

– “Soulmate”

“Can’t let a pretty face distract me from business”

– “Jerome”

“Don’t hide no emotions/Wear ’em on my sleeve/All my feeling’s Gucci/Can’t hold back my tears/That would be a crime/’Cause I look pretty cryin'”

– “Exactly How I Feel (feat. Gucci Mane)”

“Got me, it’s the only thing I’ll ever need”

– “Heaven Help Me”

“Even if you are the love of my life/Sorry, baby, I got too much pride”

– “Heaven Help Me”

“I just took a DNA test, turns out I’m 100% that bitch/Even when I’m crying crazy/Yeah I got boy problems, that’s the human in me/Bling bling then I solve ’em, that’s the goddess in me”

– “Truth Hurts”

“You’re ‘posed to hold me down, but you’re holding me back/And that’s the sound of me not calling you back”

– “Truth Hurts”

“I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever be your side chick”

– also “Truth Hurts”. This song is just a straight up girl boss anthem.

“I don’t get dehydrated/I moisturize daily/I am my inspiration”

– “Water Me”

I highly, highly encourage all of you to take a moment of your free time to listen to this woman’s music. You’ll thank me later.

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4

Ellie is a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Ballet and Strategic Communications. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a member of It's On Us. She loves to travel, is a big fan of all things fashion, and has an unhealthy obsession with cute coffee shops. You can find her (and her blog) on Instagram @ellie.bresler
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor