This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Have you ever wanted to have one of those trendy, Pinterest-style wardrobes where every one of your outfits looks put together but you don’t know where to start? Well, fashion is a bit of a journey, but the best place to start is with a capsule wardrobe! When you find those special staple pieces that you know how to style, everything else becomes effortless! Follow along to see 10 of the most essential items to begin your capsule wardrobe!

Black and White Solid Tank / T-shirt 

It’s always best to begin with the basics! Solid-colored tanks or tees are so versatile and can be styled up or down depending on your mood. Depending on your personal preferences, you can go with a cropped tank, a fitted bodysuit, a plain tee, or even shirts with shoulder pads. Good places to find simple tanks and tees are Amazon, Target, and Zara.

Pair of Light Blue Denim Jeans

A rule of thumb is to always to invest in your denim — a good pair of jeans can go a long way! Plus, once you find a pair of jeans that is flattering and compliments your style, you’ll want to wear them as often as possible which makes investing in a good quality pair 100% worth it. Some of the best places to find solid denim range from American Eagle to Zara to a thrift store. Some of the best denim is recycled from thrifting, so don’t be afraid to go out and spend some time looking for second-hand jeans!

Gold/Silver Stacked Necklaces and Chunky Hoop Earrings

Accessorizing is key to pulling together a look! Starting with some staple pieces such as stacked necklaces and chunky hoops is one of the most important aspects of the minimalist capsule wardrobe look. From there, you can begin to customize your accessories. Switching up accessories is a great way to change up a look! Some of the best places to find minimalist jewelry include Amazon, Madewell, and Urban Outfitters.

Blazer

A good quality blazer is an absolute necessity when building a minimalist wardrobe. You can go for a light fabric blazer, a structured jacket with shoulder pads and detailing, or even a faux leather blazer! The great thing about a blazer is it can be paired with jeans, shorts, a mini skirt, or a fitted dress. It can truly pull together a look in a classy and flirty way! Blazers can be found on ASOS, Zara, and even H&M!

A Versatile Pair of Sneakers

Everyone needs a good pair of sneakers. Whether you prefer a laid-back tennis shoe or a custom pair of Nikes, a solid pair of sneakers that are comfortable and fit your style are the perfect addition to a capsule wardrobe. While it is important to start with a staple sneaker, don’t be afraid to expand your shoe collection afterwards. Although having a capsule-sized wardrobe is the goal, changing up shoes can elevate an outfit, especially when you’re trying to restyle a few of the same pieces. Sneakers can be purchased from almost any shoe brand depending on your preferences! 

Strappy, Low Height Heels

If you want to dress up a look for a night out on the town or even just make your look a more classy one, then a low, strappy heel is the shoe for you! Since comfort is key, it’s important to look for a heel that is thicker or more block-shaped because these provide better support. Additionally, the lower the heel, the more comfortable they are for daily or consistent wear! Find these at places such as Lulus, Forever 21, and Urban Outfitters.

Denim Shorts

Just like finding a good pair of jeans is key, finding shorts that are comfortable and flattering is important in building a capsule wardrobe. Having a pair of shorts to counterbalance jeans allows for several items to become a part of your summer wardrobe as well! The goal with a capsule wardrobe is to have pieces that can rotate between all seasons as well as some that are season-specific to balance out your closet. Denim shorts can be found at a variety of locations, some of which include Urban Outfitters, Free People, and Abercrombie & Fitch. 

Belt and a Bag to Match

Again, accessorizing is everything! Adding a belt to an outfit ties the entire outfit together. And another way to elevate your style is to find a good quality bag to match that belt! Having that simple matching moment dresses up a look and creates that Pinterest-style moment. Belts and bags can be found at Forever 21, Zara, or online at ASOS.

Black Pants

Similarly to having that good pair of light blue denim, having a sleek pair of black pants is essential to building your wardrobe. The fit and style are not limited to one category and it is based purely on your preferences and personal style. Your black pants can be a mom jean, skinny, straight, wide leg, or slim fit and can be denim, leather, or fabric! Black pants can be found at PacSun, Madewell, or even Target.

Trench Coat

A well-made trench coat is always a must in taking a look to the next level. Trench coats have been the staple of a classy wardrobe for decades, and it continues to be a classy closet must-have. Your staple trench coats can be black, tan, cream, gray, or even patterned. Layering takes clothing from a basic look to a pulled together, stylish outfit. Trench coats can be worn in the early spring, fall, and winter, making it a worthy investment! Good quality trench coats can be found at Zara, ASOS, and Nordstrom. 

Just remember that this is a beginner’s guide for your wardrobe. Once you start, don’t be afraid to add on to your shoe collection, selection of coats, or your handbags! The basics are always the best place to start, but don’t let minimizing your wardrobe stop you from expressing your own style!

Hi, my name is Haylee and I am a student at the University of Utah! I am majoring in Psychology and minoring in Political Science! After receiving my Bachelor's degree, I plan on attending Law School on the East Coast.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor