This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

“I’m just not really an outdoorsy person.” I have used this phrase more times in my life than I can count. Yes, I’m feeling okay, but spending countless hours baking in the Florida heat, getting bitten by incessant mosquitoes and having that signature “outdoor smell” never seemed to peak my interest.  

I’m not naive to the fact of how beautiful my surroundings are. Being from Vero Beach, I was not even a 15-mile drive from the beach. Palm trees lined the streets, flowers seemingly forever in bloom and luxurious beach side hotels with infinity pools and waterfalls was my everyday view.  Yet, I would still rather devote my time in a space with air conditioning.  

Since moving away to school, I have become a new person. Though my old self was never a person I was ashamed of, my growth here, in St. Petersburg, I pride myself in. College has increased my knowledge of many subjects, new friends have exposed me to different cultures, and the art scene has broadened my horizons, but the biggest change is not any of that- it’s the fact I enjoy being outside. (For anyone who knows me, it is now safe to pick your jaw up off the ground. The surprises end there.)

It took moving from one side of the coast to the other to appreciate just how lucky us Floridians are.

First of all, my campus is picturesque. I don’t find myself just being confined to my room or the library for homework or studying anymore. My school offers a plethora of locations to go to that will still give you the quietness you desperately are in search of. Plus, walking to class isn’t such a chore when you have the bay to greet your eyes.

St. Petersburg is city that is known for its art. Around every corner, you are met with a different street mural or some interesting form of art. I have loved every second of exploring the city.

And possibly the best advantage yet, going outside is completely free. Being in college is probably the brokest you’ll ever be in your life, hopefully. You want to go out and be social but not spend any money. Perfect solution; go exploring with your friends. I have taken early morning walks around the city, walked to our local beach, and just sat outside talking, which to me, are some of the best days.

I won’t lie to you, you more than likely won’t catch me roughing it in the woods camping anytime soon, or ever, but I have enjoyed getting to know this new piece of myself. Relaxing by the water in a hammock is an instant remedy for a tough week. Nightly walks discussing life to the sounds of waves crashing against the sand with friends, an ideal night.

So, if you used to be like me and would rather do anything than be outside, give it a try. And worse case scenario, the mall is but a drive away.

HCXOXO,

Imani Craig

Hi! My name is Imani and I am a 21 year old Mass Communications major living in sunny Florida. I love traveling, listening to music and you, know, occasionally writing.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.