Why I Love St. Petersburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

For as long as I can remember I have always loved being by the ocean. I am so drawn by not only its beauty but by the calming sensation it leaves me. Whenever I am at the beach, all of my worries and stress disappear and I think about absolutely nothing. As an over thinker, I cherish the moments where my mind is blank for a little. One of the best feelings ever is the warmth of the sun beaming on your skin as you hear the waves slowly crashing in the distance, and the beach never disappoints me. I feel such a great sense of happiness; St. Pete is the city where I belong.  

Photo Courtesy of Dana Nicole Photography

Along with its beautiful beaches, downtown St. Pete is the heart of all events and overall good times. I am so fascinated by the architecture of big buildings known to be present in cities, big or small, and downtown St. Pete sure has a lot of them. I am not the type of person to stay inside all day so when I am free I always enjoy walking downtown where there are endless amounts of trendy restaurants and unique boutiques filled with handmade treasures. It’s also always a great time coming across murals painted alongside these businesses, a very big trend here that I fully support. These murals add so much character and it just shows how big of a role the people in St. Pete have in making this city something to be proud of.

Not to mention there is ALWAYS something happening here. I come from a city where the only things to do for fun are to go to the movies or the mall. You get tired of these two places very quickly and I almost always resort to just being home all day which is not the most fun thing to do. Coming from that to a city filled with events every week has made me feel like a little kid in a candy store. I appreciate the hip markets filled with local goods, and the live music from bands that are from this area. Art museums open up to the public every second saturday of the month, there is free swing dancing every couple of Tuesdays, pop up markets during the day and night, free shuffleboarding every friday, and much more. How could you not love a city that provides you with so much joy and great memories?

Photo Courtesy of Instagrammers St. Pete (@igersstpete)

HCXOXO,

Shayla Fajardo

Shayla Fajardo is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg who is majoring in Biology. She enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of pizza, hanging out with friends, binge watching Netflix shows, and attending concerts. A goal of hers has always been to be more involved on campus, so she made sure to actively be involved in three clubs at USFSP- Her Campus, Multicultural Activities Council, and Harborside Activities Board. Shayla's ultimate life goal is to one day become a marine biologist who can travel the world and make a difference.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.