This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

I had relatively short hair for most of the past five years. It bounced between chin-length and shoulder-length. As the years progressed and I decided to be more bold in experimenting with my appearance, I played around with colors. Trying a burgundy red first, I moved back to brown and then black. After moving away for college, I experimented with highlights such as purple, pink, and eventually green. After the rather unintentional tenure of green, I went back to a “safe” choice of a nice chocolate cherry/red violet. However, after a few months of this more “professional” look, I was itching to do something daring with my hair. This is where I found the confidence, not to change the color yet again, but to cut it short or, as stated above, “chop it off.” I decided on a rather long asymmetrical pixie, and I have quickly fallen in love with the look and maintenance level. The following are my thoughts on why I chopped my hair off and how I live with the look (emotionally and physically):

1. I feel more confident! Surprisingly, I feel just as “feminine” as before. In fact, since I know I am showing off my face instead of “hiding” behind my hair, I am experimenting even more with my makeup. Additionally, I am playing around with my eight different ear piercings and using those accessories as feminine features.

2. I enjoy learning how to style it. I fell into the routine of not styling my former hairstyle. However, with my fresh ‘do, I am enjoying leaving it naturally wavy some days and straightening it the next. You can bring on all those good smelling pomades short-haired individuals use!

3. Cutting your hair short seems like this liberating and simultaneously traumatic moment. In my case, it was all liberating with no trauma. I felt like taking a risk, and as often the case in many risks, I was rewarded by the opportunity I took.

4. Lastly, I like knowing that I am not as attached to material things (including my hair) as I thought I was. My hair has often been something safe to hide behind at times. By cutting it short, I feel like I am confronting my fears about femininity, style, and, even, other more hidden traumas. While it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, I am absolutely thrilled that I chopped my hair off.

Hi, my name is Emily Sandifer. I am a 22 year old psychology student with the aspirations of working in higher education. I am passionate about writing, communication, and building interpersonal relationships.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.