Why Celebrities Should Use Their Platform For Greater Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

We all have a favorite celebrity that we look up to – an athlete, an actor/actress, or a performer. Although every celebrity is different in their own way, they all have something in common- fame and fortune. They are recognized for all that they do, and are constantly in the spotlight even when doing everyday tasks. Some celebrities use their fame and fortune to donate to charities while others buy lavish, materialistic things.

Since these celebrities are in the spotlight so often, they filter things they say and do to prevent from having the media present them in a bad light. The last thing they need is for paparazzi to show up, snap a couple of pictures, and print in the press with an outrageous headline that most likely isn’t even true.

Photo Courtesy of Google Images

However, there are a few that rise above it all and do what they want regardless of what others think. I believe with such large fan bases, these celebrities should use their platform to stand up for what they believe in, even if it means they may lose a couple of followers. They are constantly told how to dress and act but that doesn’t mean that they don’t have control over their voice.

At this year’s MTV Video Music Awards show, Logic performed his song 1-800-273-8255, with Alessia Cara and Khalid. The song’s title is the number of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. The lyrics talk about how suicide should never be the answer and that there is help available, always. Logic wants people contemplating suicide to know that they have everything to live for, that they should never feel like they are alone. During his performance at the VMA’s, he brought suicide attempt survivors on stage with him, standing there wearing shirts with the lifeline number and phrase “You’re not alone.” It was very emotional and inspiring, with the survivors crying as the song was being performed. Logic also delivered a message after his performance, promoting the end of discrimination and saying we should be spreading peace, love, and positivity. He is an advocator of equality and never fails to let the world know of its importance through his music.     

Photo Courtesy of Getty Images

Leonardo Dicaprio is another example of a celebrity who isn’t afraid to voice his opinions on sensitive topics. He is very passionate about the environment and is a firm believer of climate change being real. DiCaprio is a popular actor, starring in  well-known films like Titanic and The Revenant. Yet, he shows no mercy when talking about something so controversial in politics today. When accepting awards, he has made sure to include the problem that is global warming despite what others in the audience or those watching from home may think.

Celebrities may have been called to fame for their talents in the arts but it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t use their platform to voice their opinions on important issues in the world. Not everyone will agree with them and they may lose a few fans, but I believe that it is incredibly important for them to use this platform to their advantage and bring awareness to crucial things currently happening in society and science. They shouldn’t allow image to be as much of a priority, but instead show the world just how real and similar they are to the rest of us.

HCXOXO,

Shayla Fajardo

Shayla Fajardo is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg who is majoring in Biology. She enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of pizza, hanging out with friends, binge watching Netflix shows, and attending concerts. A goal of hers has always been to be more involved on campus, so she made sure to actively be involved in three clubs at USFSP- Her Campus, Multicultural Activities Council, and Harborside Activities Board. Shayla's ultimate life goal is to one day become a marine biologist who can travel the world and make a difference.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.