matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What You Need To Know About Elections 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

With Florida’s elections right around the corner, it’s important for many of us to know what this means. We’ll be voting on various positions for Florida’s government, which is a topic of its own, but just as importantly, we’ll be voting on new amendments. Though it may not sound like much, we will be voting on 13 amendments, all which should be understood before you vote yes or no on each one. Below, we will be talking about the first six amendments and what they mean.

Amendment 1

Increasing the homestead exemption from $25,000 for homes valued at more than $100,000.

The homestead exemption is meant to protect homeowners in three ways, but in this case, the amendment is relating to the exemption from property taxes. This basically allowing homes in the value of $100,000 to be exempted from property taxes. This would mean more saving for home owners, but at the same time we will be losing revenues from the taxes of these homes.

Amendment  2

Sets the temporary 10% cap on non-homestead parcel assessment to be permanent.

Honestly there is more to this but what it generally means non-homestead, which is not your primary property as your home, but your rental property will have a 10% asset cap.

Amendment 3

Requires voter approval of casino gambling.

Just plain simple, it calls for the citizens of Florida to approve any expansion on casino gambling. This could slow process in the case of the casino business but will allow the citizens to decide if we really need them.

Amendment 4

Restores the right to vote for most people with prior felony convictions upon completion of their sentences.

Known as Voter Restoration Amendment, the amendment will allow former felons the chance to restore their rights back. This does not include felons who have committed murder, violent crime sex-offenses. Currently impacting 1.4 million people in Florida, this amendment is given a second chance at the ballots itself to change the lives of many who cannot vote, have a driver license, or have a proper job.  

For more information: https://secondchancesfl.org

Amendment 5

Requires 2/3 vote of legislature to impose or increase tax or fee.

This will mean that for the state house to vote on any tax increase or fee, they will need ⅔ of the state house to approve the vote. It makes sense, but in cases of emergencies where it might be needed, such as flooding, severe storms, or a recession, the vote will still require ⅔ of the house to approve it.

Though these are only five of the thirteen amendments that will be on the ballot, we will continue the list next time. But if you’re too impatient, you can always check out the list at ballotpedia.org/Florida_2018_ballot_measures.  

HC,

Julissa

Julissa Reynel graduated from Hillsborough Community College with her A.A. She is currently in the pre-graphic design program at University of South Florida St. Petersburg, and hopes to use her design for social justice movements. On her free time she enjoys conversations with her dog and buying bundles of fabric.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.