USFSP’s South Florida All Stars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

“Get involved!”

This is one of the most common phrases you will hear in high school AND COLLEGE.

If you are an USFSP student interested in dance, USFSP South Florida All Stars is the organization for you!

Established on campus in September 2013, the fairly new organization’s main goal is “to expand the sense of school spirit through the art of dance, to establish a team of dancers that enjoy what they do and to ultimately compete nationally to give USFSP more recognition” (South Florida All Stars).

But what brought this organization to life? As current president Justice Thornton explains, her and then president Dazhane Turman were both accepted at USFSP. As old friends, they wanted to continue dancing yet there was not a dance team established on campus. Seeing that one of their greatest life passions could be truncated by the lack of a dance team at USFSP, they both set out to start this organization.

In order to become a member, a student has to attend regular practices to show the executive board their serious interest in the organization. Then, students need to join as a member on Petesync.org; in order to get the basics of dance, those interested need to show up to one of the following classes:

Ballet: Tuesdays from 9:00pm – 10:30pm

Jazz/Contemporary: Thursdays from 9:00pm – 10:30pm

It is essential for new members to attend the previous mentioned “core” classes to learn the basic techniques, flexibility strengthening, learn and appreciate the different genres of dance to lastly have fun.

Aside from core classes, those members interested in forming part of dancing events, must and are strongly encouraged to attend weekend practices occurring from Friday through Sunday at various times:

Friday: 2:00pm – 4:00pm

Saturday: 6:00pm – 8:00pm

Sunday: 10:00am-12:00pm

Rehearsals take place in studio two of the fitness center.

Even though South Florida All Stars has only been an active organization for a little more than a year, the organization has successfully participated on campus’ events such as the Homecoming Ball, the Student Government Greenstock event, the Annual Multicultural Feast, the Eat Pray Love event, the RHA Fashion Show and the Black History Showcase amongst others. Some of these events will be yearly occurrences for the All-Stars.

This year 2015, more events are in store such as the Stars and Emotion Showcase and a collaboration with USFSP’s own Bollywood Dance Team.

Big dreams are still in store for this organization, the main one being able to compete with local organizations and with other universities. Even though the journey to do so is not easy, Thornton would like this to become a reality near the 2016-2017 academic year.

The organization currently has 11 members with four returning members from previous semesters. The organization keeps on growing as potential members learn more about the organization. If you would like to have more information, reach out to:

jthornton1@mail.usf.edu

https://www.facebook.com/groups/193135987535272/

www.petesync.org

More information about USFSP South Florida All Stars

Members of the team:

Justice Thornton (President)

Arin Hurd (Choreographer, jazz and contemporary instructor)

Krtistina Sonstroem (Secretary, Ballet Instructor)

Chiana Hamilton (Vice President)

Ashlyn Bigley (Costume Coordinator)

Chrisheena Wills (Marketing/Event Director)

Sophia Fotiadis, Chantel Gray, Cadin Small, Jade Howard, and Taylor Singleton.

Photo Source(s):

Scott Bigley

Sydney Whitfields, USFSP Student

Kelly Mora-Romero is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF St. Petersburg. She was born in Colombia but has lived in the US since 2004. As a Global Business and Marketing major with a minor in Mass Communications, Kelly's dream job is to work in international marketing with a big communications company; traveling is a must! Her biggest inspiration for stories come from local or campus-related news, advise for the every-day life and tips on success. If you wish to contact Campus Correspondent Kelly for article ideas or any comments/concerns/issues at USFSP email at: kellyromero@hercampus.com For any other personal inquiries email: kellyjulieth@mail.usf.edu HCXO