USFSP takes on the St. Petersburg MLK Parade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

This week USFSP conquered the MLK parade downtown St. Petersburg. Being the largest crowd to march in the parade, USFSP students, staff, and executive board joined together as one on Monday, January 19 to honor Martin Luther King Jr.

The national Martin Luther King, Jr. Drum Major for Justice Parade is a way for the community to come together in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. himself and celebrate the true meaning of the day and the change MLK has brought other than the day off of classes and work. St. Petersburg participates in this event annually.

Students had the choice to meet for a free breakfast in the campus’s Student Living Center building at 8 a.m. or just meeting the crowd at Tropicana field downtown by 9:30 a.m. to start the march together. The students all wore green and gold to proudly represent the university.

Thanks to the USFSP student government, there was an extravagant float for University of South Florida, St. Petersburg students, staff and board.

The length of the parade was 4.5 miles from Tropicana Field to Vinoy Park. The march roughly took about two hours.

“It was a great experience being able to be a part of one the biggest parades in the south, I can’t wait to participate in it for the next few years,” says Tamiracle Williams a USFSP student who attended and participated in the annual parade.

In honor of Martin Luther King Jr., USFSP devoted a week of events to celebrate this heroic figure, the inspiration he created and the change he dreamed of all along. This week as we end our celebrations of this powerful man, remember these kind words from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. himself:

“Love is the only thing that can turn an enemy into a friend.”

For more pictures on the parade, check out USFSP Connect’s photos from the event:

http://www.usfspconnect.com/mlk-day-parade-photos/

*Tamiracle Williams is also a contributor of Her Campus- St. Petersburg chapter.

Cover Image:

degreesearch.org

Madison Fowler is the Vice-President of Her Campus: University of South Florida St. Petersburg Chapter. She is currently a sophomore majoring in Mass Communications at the University of South Florida, in St. Petersburg. Born in Toledo, Ohio and lived in Dallas, Texas, Madison currently resides in St. Petersburg, of the sunshine state. She hopes to study abroad during her college career. When Madison is not writing for Her Campus, she enjoys beach days, practicing yoga and volunteering at local animal shelters.Contact Madison:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006219798142mfowler@mail.usf.edu
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.